Stacking in the UK

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by Shamatti, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Shamatti

Shamatti Member

How do we make this site lift off a little in the UK?

I will be returning soon. I have had to move much of my silver into gold to avoid overweight cabin bags, and potentially a 20% VAT bill on arrival in the country! :/ So I want to re-stack silver when I get there. But I am not interested in giving the UK government 20% of everything I spend on silver, the greedy money grabbing barstewards!

The UK needs a site like this to help stackers there purchase/sell without the Tax man getting his hands on our profit. Is it worth putting some cash into google optimisation in the UK? Is it worth having a mirror to this site based on a UK server - both of these things will improve search results over there.

What else can be done?

I would also be interested in having a chat with any UK stackers about safe/legal ways of avoiding VAT when I get back to the UK and want to pick up some more silver.

2. PhilDaSilva

PhilDaSilva New Member

In the UK myself, am picking up anything silver as cheap as I can get it 2nd hand, usually old sterling jewellery and odd coins as there's no VAT on 2nd hand goods although a reseller will have to pay 20% on their profit margin only even then only if they are VAT registered. It don't look as pretty as some of the modern coins do but it sure is much cheaper with no VAT added!!

Between the above and asking friends for their old silver/gold junk/scrap I have accumulated half kilo + of sterling silver some of which I could polish up and sell as jewellery for an even better mark up, also considering a proper hydrogen blowtorch/welder to effect repairs as all the little attachments/clips and findings that usually break first are cheap and readily available on fleabay.

Should I cash out with a substantial sum or find a few K to spare I will prolly go for an allocated ETF as there's no VAT until you take physical delivery of silver though I would prefer to exchange for gold before taking delivery so long as the price isn't stupid.

Let me know when you land back in the UK, could arrange a swap meet or something around the Midlands/Yorkshire area maybe.