Something immediate to worry about: TPP -> TPIP

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by togetherwe, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hey, I voted Liberal Democrates, now what?

2. col0016

col0016 Active Member

What about contacting Palmer? He's loud about things the other parties don't talk about...

3. SilverJay

SilverJay Member

You dont think part of the reason he is so rich is to do with corporations, somewhere along the line? His interest is in not biting the hands that feed him, thats the reason he is such a sh*t-stirer in government, he dosent need their paycheck, pension or even their travel allowance (he said that one himself in regards to him using his private jet).

You could give it a go? But, really, if I saw him running with this one - I would give him unprecedented level of respect for a politician (and that NEVER happens)

4. col0016

col0016 Active Member

Yeah I know that him being a big business owner would gain a lot from this. But surely since he's so nationalistic he wouldn't want to give up sovereignty and the ability to create our own laws?

5. SilverJay

SilverJay Member

You've got a point, he is certainly the most patriotic of all the politicians you see today and the gutsiest to kick up a stink even if he is versing the rest of his constituents on the matter. Just something tells me he has been treating this whole thing as something to throw money at because of "billionaire-boredom".

You never know though - I would love to see someone, perhaps in his electorate (or another Palmer United electorate) write to them and post the response?

6. markcoinoz

markcoinoz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

7. hecate

hecate New Member Silver Stacker

The rest of the article is here.
    http://www.alternet.org/activism/aw...ning-and-corporate-elites-arent-able-put-stop

8. togetherwe

togetherwe New Member Silver Stacker

You've already softened the stance above a little in subsequent posts... but I think 'picking your battles' is counter-productive in many situations - it doesn't have to be all or nothing. It is very hard to imagine one's contribution making a difference, but human imagination often fails, you are only guaranteed to make zero difference if you do nothing. Personally, while being very pessimistic concerning the future and having almost zero faith in human nature, I like to make sure I'm doing comfortably more than my 'fair share' on issues that I care about - this means that I don't waste too much time and anger on lofty battles, but also avoid turning into some sort of monster by contributing to nothing at all for the greater good. There's always 'a little more' you can do until you start to feel like you're giving too much.

9. Jislizard

I agree, just because you don't feel that you can do much about the big issues doesn't mean you just give up trying to help altogether. You can still help people locally and probably have a greater effect. I volunteer my time to teach martial arts to juniors and seniors every week and I edit and publish a local club's monthly newsletter. I am lazy by nature and I don't exactly look forward to it but it is something that is within my realm of ability and it gets positive results.

The main thing is that by doing this I feel that I am making a contribution to society, albeit at a localised level. I am providing something that people want. With the bigger issues you sometimes get the feeling that you are doing something futile and that no one else really cares anyway.

One leaves you feeling warm on the inside and the other leaves you feeling hollow and angry, I only have about 40 years of life left and I don't intend to spend them being angry, far too much of that going around as it is.

While it is nice to do things for other people you need to put yourself first when it comes to mental health issues, too many people are depressed or angry about things that they have no control over. You only have a few years to enjoy life, it isn't a practice run, this is it, if you don't enjoy this life you won't get a second chance.*

*depending on religious views

10. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

At least now they might have to put off their plans for a few years.

11. col0016

col0016 Active Member

Why? What has changed?

12. Jislizard

I signed the petition ?

13. JulieW

There's a bit of light being shone on them and so they'll scurry off into the dark and try again when everyone is distracted once more.

14. hecate

The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) is a highly secretive and expansive free trade agreement between the United States and eleven Pacific Rim countries, including Canada, Mexico, New Zealand and Australia. Leaked text reveals that the TPP would empower corporations to directly sue governments in private and non-transparent trade tribunals over laws and policies that corporations allege reduce their profits.

Legislation designed to address climate change, curb fossil fuel expansion and reduce air pollution could all be subject to attack by corporations as a result of the TPP.

Sign this petition to show our governments that we won't stand for foreign corporations disabling our sovereignty, democratic processes or the right to a safe future: http://bit.ly/1cRI2nK

15. hecate

16. hecate

17. JulieW

18. dollars

dollars Active Member Silver Stacker

When WikiLeaks says that ""great pressure" being exerted by the US negotiators to move other nations to their position ." and with the knowledge of recent revelations by Snowden do they mean that that the US uses its surveillance superiority to "blackmail" other nations or politicians to get their way?

19. JulieW

Yes.
    And your point is?

20. dollars

dollars Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi JulieW

This was a question in itself! Thanks for you response

However to expand the point if, for example, the nations and /or politicians are blackmailed does the agreement have any legal /lawful basis?
    If (for example) the politician/s negotiating the deal were being blackmailed and he/they didn't disclose that fact would he loose any indemnity and be liable for all the costs associated with any claim?

i.e.I have read that Timor is appealing to the international court regarding the oil and gas contracts