Something a bit different.....

Discussion in 'Other Investments' started by null, Aug 8, 2012.

1. null

null Member

Not an investment as such, but maybe treasure...

Scored this nice full slab of london plane down at the syd botanical as they fell this huge tree (maybe > 100 year old tree, due to termites, etc).

[imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/1194_woodphoto-2.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

Size is roughly 450mm x 350 x 120 thick. Crap pic with 1 oz panda / koala for size comparison.

A piece of wood this size at the shop will be hard to find, and if there is such a piece might be worth upwards of 100s bucks. Had I the means, I could have taken the entire trunk dia ~ 1+metres.

Still wet so will need time to dry out (anyone know how long?)

Aim is to make a chopping board or two if cut in half.

2. Lunarowl

Lunarowl Active Member Silver Stacker

You can almost make a mahjong table with that lol..
    Here's an idea, make coin cases! :)

3. Boyo

Boyo Active Member Silver Stacker

Nice looking slab .You may have some problems with cracking along the grain as it dries out.

I have some experience with drying slabs of timber ,but usually as whole log splits..and it is best if some of the bark is left on to prevent too much moisture from exiting the timber too fast .

Check with a timber merchant on how best to keep it drying slowly ,but I would paint the end grain with some thick acrylic paint.

You have a slab of POTENTIAL there :)

4. null

null Member

Thanks for the advice! Should have informed the forum about the botanic garden's tree fell. They said they sent out notices to wood-workers to help grab the timber for them. But the biggest "log" was not taken and they were in the middle of cutting it to make bench seats for the park. It would have been an extraordinary piece of material for the master wood-worker.

Had I the experience and space to store that log (would have been 1meter+ thick tapering to 80cm, for a good 3 meter length), I would have grabbed it to make several Japanese wooden soaking baths! That would have been truly awesome (don't know if this wood is any good with water though).

Anyway, see how it will turn out while drying. I am sure I can put it to better use than wood chip (that's what they'll be doing to the majority of that trunk. Hurts just thinking about that).

5. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's a reasonable assumption that it would be no good for soaking.

6. null

null Member

It really depends on the wood. Traditional Japanese baths are made purely from the Japanese Cypress - Hinoki, (no paint, or oiling, etc). Just straight raw wood.

They are made and put together without the use of nails or fasteners, just pure craftsmanship. The wood is allowed to absorb a bit of water so the joints expands, thereby filling the joint gaps and making it water tight. It also helps that the wood has anti-bacterial properties.

I am not sure about the London Plane's property.

7. Emma_Roy

Emma_Roy New Member

leave it like that. It is very nice.Once you have put up here to post mean like a lot to you.Do not destroy.

8. richard

richard New Member

This is look like a surprise box where a jeeny come out and shower of happiness. Thanks for this posting . This is great.

9. Smoothcriminal

Smoothcriminal New Member Silver Stacker

If you have a wine celler or something similar I'd put it in there - cool, dark and dry place should minimise the risk of cracking as it dries.

10. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you don't have a wine cellar now would be a great excuse to get one!

11. Smoothcriminal

Smoothcriminal New Member Silver Stacker

Or convince the Mrs that world war III is imminent and it would double up as a bomb shelter. Paranoia - selling shit since for ever.