Some Untreated Ruby

Discussion in 'Jewellery & Gems' started by 1for1, Sep 23, 2012.

1. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi, some Ruby

A 0.20 CT Natural Pink Red Ruby Oval Cut

[​IMG]

B 0.85 CT Ruby Winza Tanzania Best Colour Natural Si HOT RED PINK Untreated

[​IMG]

C 1.0 CT Ruby Winza Tanzania Ravishing Best Colour Untreated I1-I2 Pink-Red

[​IMG]

D 1.17 CT Natural Blood RED PINK Ruby High Grade Oval Cut

[​IMG]

E 1.76 CT Vietnam Pink Heated Nice Shape I-I2 Great Colour

[​IMG]

F 1.77 CT BROKEN (Big Dark inclusion near centre) HEART Ferrari Red Mozambique High Grade Natural Ruby

[​IMG]

G 2.66 CT Ruby Natural Red Perfect Shape Si Heated Top Red

[​IMG]

H 2.68 CT Cabochon Pink - Red Cabochon (Mostly Opaque) Mozambique Oval Natural

[​IMG]

2. Golden Boy

Golden Boy New Member

3. XB

XB Active Member Silver Stacker

Love #H - beautiful deep colour!

4. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi, this gem is an Opaque Cabochon Ruby so although its more Pink-Red the photo shows its lack of transparancy as darkness.

thanks,

Joseph

5. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

Hey Joe,

Lets talk on Ruby G - PM me a price, I'm interested in that!

6. Glitterberry

Glitterberry New Member

Completely innocent novice here- this is the only thread i can find about rubies so i hope im posting in the right place. There is a large place in my heart for rubies, and I want to collect them. So far I've learned that natural, untreated and unheated seems to be the way to go? i want REAL rubies. But thats about all i know. Anybody out there willing to take me under their wing?

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I know a little, not a lot.... But I know that attractive unheated ruby is very rare indeed. Most ruby is irradiated and heated with chemicals...I see no harm in the heating alone with no chemicals because this basically finishes off what the earth was doing in terms of heating the stone.

Spinel on the other hand is very rarely treated and basically never heated (heating does not improve the spinel stone). It very similar to ruby and only 1 point softer on the mohs scale so still very hard. Spinel is rarer than ruby and gem quality ruby is extremely rare.

I still like ruby more than spinel though :)

8. Glitterberry

Glitterberry New Member

oh yeah, spinel is stunning- but every since seeing the ruby collection in the palace at istanbul, I've wanted some of my own. I just dont know who to buy from. Ebay has so many cheap ones that promise they are un heated and untreated and come certified if you pay an extra $2...but most gemstone suppliers range from reasonable to astonomical and I wonder if they are just putting mark up on their stones, or if there is something sus about the ebay ones.? know anywhere 'safe' to buy from?

9. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Where do you live?

10. Glitterberry

Glitterberry New Member

Im in melbourne

11. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

First , I would stay far away from the ebay deal rubies , unless they are certified by GIA or a few other well known gem certification labs, unknown or small certification companies are usually worthless , you need a thorough analysis that basicly maps the entire stone on a micro level , and various other tests. Heat treatment is so common with rubies that I just consider all nice quality rubies as heat treated and is perfectly acceptable, the only other treatments I am familiar with on ruby is filling which is not acceptable for me , there may be some cases of chemicles but I have not heard of it and i have never heard of irradiation used on ruby. There is also tons of lab created ruby which probably makes up the majority of nice looking cheap ebay ruby , then there is Lab created ruby such as Chatham which is actually a grown ruby crystal still man made but much more valuable than the cheap lab created boules. As far as heat treatment goes , it is also very hard to detect in some cases , I have heard of single large stones go through 3 top tier cert. companies certified as non treated before one finally tested it as treated, again personally any top quality rubies I just assume are heat treated no matter what anyone says unless maybe a GIA cert. I have a good variety of smaller rubies if you want to PM me and let me know what you are looking for, if you can not find something from 1for1 or someone else in Aus.

12. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

My advice would be to start off with lower grade specifmens with inclusions and flaws so that you can get a few gems and a loupe and understand the characteristics that you like, it may be that you prefer rough or lower grade gems which in my opinion hold more mystic and the "warts and a;;" effect of a lower grade gem make it much more unqiue and interesting, all the cracks and knots and inclusions make for a better study specimen.

Once you know what your looking for increase your spend, i would say sourcing gems is the most important factor and unheated is always preferential but heated is an adequate form of enhancement, the led-glass filling is common from gemstones out of asia (which is a common place to get ruby) mean the item is more beautiful and deep in colour than would otherwise be the case, but then again the prices are far more reasonable.

Gems are great as they are so small you can have a decent collection in a soap box.

1for1

13. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Try Dazlyn Gems, 14 Station Rd, Cheltenham, VIC 3192, (03) 9583 1998

No connection with Dazlyn, but be prepared to negotiate with cash for a better deal.