Some Gold Stocks in 1970's

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by hawkeye, Oct 5, 2011.

1. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

Probably been posted before but someone reminded me of it recently so thought I'd post it here

http://seekingalpha.com/article/241664-the-three-phases-of-every-secular-bull-market-in-gold

2. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

Sure, but isn't that what most of us are hoping to do, just catch one of those maybe 2 if we are really lucky?

3. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

"Sure, but isn't that what most of us are hoping to do, just catch one of those maybe 2 if we are really lucky?"

Yeah but it's a bit like picking an extreme performer in the explorers - like SFR. Did you pick it?

Best to assume you won't get it right. I was influenced by glib newsletter writers talking about the stellar performers in the 70's and early 80's. I scattered my picks during the early 2000's and ended up with 4 defunct companies with the rest serious duds and a couple of goers nowhere near performing enough to make up the loss. Croesus Mining, Gympie Gold, BMA Gold, Macmin Mining - all defunct. It's cunning propaganda for the naive. The pig managements of these companies lie enough, and then you get the glib commentators chiming in with highly selective examples from the 70's. It's Bulls**t

4. Bargain Hunter

Bargain Hunter Active Member

Finicky thanks for highlighting the risk side of things which I always urge forum members to look at when investing in unprofitable mining companies.

5. SilverSanchez

SilverSanchez Active Member

Some people are saying we havnt even hit phase three yet....

I am confident my horses are going to represent the sector, they might not do the best, but at least one (hoefully all) will make the average. This bull has a long way to run..

Here is my strategy - hold a junior till it doubles - half the possition and take profits on the way up - that way i might get a piece of the $3mil

6. metalzzz

metalzzz Well-Known Member

what are your horses sanchez.

7. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

how do profits fare after CGT and brokerage fees vs risk of outlay

8. SilverSanchez

My horses?

producers with more than one asset and a history of good deal making

9. SilverSanchez

My babies and explorers with tight capital structure and good managment

10. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

You seem to know your PM stocks well, from the various comments you have made.

Can you divulge what stocks are you you currently holding, for the interested PM stock newbies here ... or is that a secret ?

11. SilverSanchez

Its not a secret (not really), but I dont want to say it because I know that opinions influence peoples views and how they see things. I listen to about 6or7 hours of market commentry a week, I learn from people who have more experience than me in buying and selling stock, and I spend a lot of time looking at charts.

A few times a week i look at dozens of charts to try and get a feel for the "personality" of a stock, each stock's personality is made up by the people who own it, so each one moves differently.

The saying goes give a man some bread you feed him for a day, but teach a man to grow wheat and you will feed his community for a lifetime.... same in stocks. Getting a personal feel for stocks gives you an edge with that particular stock.
    That being said ill give you a few I own as examples of what i look at.
    I have three categories

stock that are in the space NOW that I believe the world will come to later (Eden Energy, Linc Energy, AlgaeTech)

stocks that are the most well respected and be the 'must haves' for that sector or specific metal (Cobar, Newcrest, BHP)

stocks that people wish they got into when nobody cared, or everybody was scared (Alkane, Kingsgate, Philips River, Archer Exploration)

Now over all this I have my rules - dont chase the price, undervalued stocks, no penny stocks for penny stocks sake, managment MUST have diverse experience relevant to their goals and industry, there MUST be growth potential either by increased comodity price or exploration upside, and small land holdings suck!

I hate risk, it makes me freak out and make bad decisions - to reduce it - i get to know a stock over time...

When gold miners hit a 52 week bottom and they mine (IMHO) the most bullish comodities on the planet at the moment - that is a no brainer for me...

Im not telling you guys what to do, nor what to buy, thats not my business - im just telling you what I do.
    I usually get into something too early and have to bear the pain as i see it go down further...
    Im also a committed Christian so I ask God to help me be wise, patient and diligent, not hasty, greedy and foolish.

Everyone has to do their own research, and make their own choices because its their money.

12. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

Thanks for that SS. Much appreciated :)