Somalian gold elephant - mintages?

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by chrissilver, Jun 25, 2014.

1. chrissilver

chrissilver Member Silver Stacker

I can't seem to find the mintages anywhere for these.

Does anyone know the mintages for the 1oz gold Somalian elephants ? Also what year did they started producing the gold versions, previous years seem to be non existent in the secondary market apart from a very expensive (+additional 50% premium to current year) 2011 elephant coin.

2. Torcan

Torcan New Member Silver Stacker

try this link
    try zooming in as well, is yours proof?

http://books.google.ca/books?id=jI5...page&q=gold somalia elephant mintages&f=false

3. chrissilver

Link doesn't seem to work, but maybe because I am on mobile. Will try later on computer.

I didn't realise they made gold proofs? Isn't that a HR?

I am going to buy the 2014 BU at some point, I just wondered what the mintage for years were as previous years seem hard to find, probably a good coin to invest in.

4. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

The link worked for me. From what I saw, the 1oz 2009 & 2010 BU gold elephants each had a mintage of 1850. As gold was higher in 2011, I wouldn't expect a 2011 coin owner to be eager to sell at current gold prices.

5. chrissilver

Thanks, must have been just google on mobile not working, on computer it works fine. Seems like the gold BU somalian elephant coin started in 2006.

Would be nice to know what the mintage on recent years is, 2011 is 1850 as well, so maybe recent years are the same. If so it's very low. These coins will probably perform well if selling to the secondary market, if you can find a buyer in the future that is. I just want to start collecting the series purely on the basis that I think it's a very beautiful series, not sure why there are so many lovers for the Pandas, to me the elephant coins seem much nicer :)

6. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Yennus will tell you it's the 1.xx billion Chinese. But the Chinese aren't buying the Pandas or they would be selling in the hundreds of millions of ounces. People like elephants, but they can see an elephant at any zoo. Few zoos have Pandas. Teddy Roosevelt started the bear (Teddy Bear) craze, so blame him. I don't know if there is a mintage limit on the 1oz bullion gold elephants. I noticed Apmex has dropped the elephant premium down to $70 from $100 and I haven't noticed that the 1oz gold Pandas gain any premium.

If I was buying with the possibility of needing to resell quickly, I would probably go with the Panda. Otherwise, I would choose the elephant. I really like the designs and the minting quality.

7. yrh0413

yrh0413 New Member

that's the price.. $1,850 as of year of printing of the catalog. If you look closer the "mintage" column shows "-"...

8. chrissilver

I did notice initially that mintGe had a dash underneath but assumed the number under BU was the mintage.

9. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

Print was too small for me to look any closer. :lol:

10. Torcan

Torcan New Member Silver Stacker

if you are using a comp, then on the left there is a "+" or a "-"
    to zoom in

[​IMG]
    Source:

11. CMCART

CMCART New Member

http://www.moderncoinmart.com/2014-...-shillings-gem-bu-brilliant-uncirculated.html

2014 Somalia 1 oz. .999 Gold Elephant -African Wildlife 1000 Shillings GEM BU (Brilliant Uncirculated

SKU29616

MCM is pleased to offer the latest 2014 release of the wildly popular Somalian African Wildlife Elephant series!

Beginning with their initial release in 2004 this series has depicted the magnificent African Elephant, the largest land animal in the world. Each year features a new design with an Elephant family traversing the Serengeti. The designs are fantastic and have helped to propel this coin series to the status of one of the most sought after bullion coins in the world!

MCM is one of the very first dealers to have these coins in stock and are now able to offer these coins to you at very special price! Each coin will be shipped securely in individual mint issued capsules.

12. chrissilver

Did you read my question? Because your answer is just some sales, trying to promote MCM. It doesn't answer my question about mintage at all.

13. CMCART

CMCART New Member

Why are you angry? Are you a fan of Liverpool. Lol - :) AND THIS : Also what year did they started producing the gold versions???????????????????????????????????????? :)

14. chrissilver

:lol: apologies I read that 2004 as 2014, thought you were banging on about the 2014 and trying to sell me one.

So the gold version was released in 2004? Or only the silver version?

15. CMCART

CMCART New Member