SMSF Performance

Discussion in 'Superannuation' started by Abossy, May 17, 2015.

1. Abossy

Abossy Active Member Silver Stacker

Interested to hear from those who manage their own super. Do you care to share your % performance in the FY to date as well as previous years? Can you share general asset allocation?

I have played it safe and currently most of it is in cash, with some metals. Not very exciting or rewarding, especially considering the mainstream funds have me beat considerably.

I am in the process of revising my investment strategy, currently have just used eSuperfunds standard one to date. Does anyone here define their own? How specific do you get? Do you find this helps your returns?

2. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

I get over 8% net return on a commercial storage unit I have in the SMSF, and that's a typical low end figure for such a unit.
    Shares and oil are doing a bit less than that, not including dividends.

3. DJBurton85

DJBurton85 New Member

Following... Fellow Aussie who is interested in SMSF.

4. Arsenal

Arsenal New Member

Well if you have invested heavily in PM's especially Silver, your SMSF has not looked pretty for many years.... :(

5. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Not sure why you'd invest heavily in PM's with a SMSF, as there is zero return until you sell them, therefore nothing to compound over the long term. Would suck if you just left them and went to sell in 20 years only to find that you are in a market dip, and you've gotten zero return on them in 20 years.
    At least shares and property have a residual income over the the long term, they are much more "set and forget".

6. zedstrange

zedstrange Member

i have invested heavily in PM with my smsf. 50% is currently in my Gold/Silver swap stash. at the moment its all Silver. OTOH i have gone gold>silver twice and is compounding very nicely. The $ value is meaningless to me, I just want more metal. Given the timeframes I am not bothered with market dips,. IMO either stocks or PMs will be booming at most points in time, i have a foot in both doors

7. mistered

mistered Member

Just doing some EOFY reports today for my SMSF.

Performance was 8.66% to 30 Jun 2015, compared to 13.29% previous FY.

I've only been running it for 2 years, so still a little overweight cash as I wait patiently for better value on the share markets.

Rough asset allocations:
    10% Metals (currently PMGOLD shares)
    30% Cash (various high interest online saving accounts)
    10% International equities
    10% Property (listed REITs mostly)
    40% Aussie equities

I regard the metals as an alternative cash holding really. It can be liquidated easily on market if required to fund a share purchase etc.

8. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have converted 3/4 of my SMSF Gold to Silver. Looking to swap some back when the time is right. It isn't a very exciting strategy for sure, and the timeframe is a little long, but it is a low stress venture.