Slabbing/ grading question

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by Stoic Phoenix, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Morning all,

I have a small old world coin supposedly FDC condition and have a few questions for the numi's/slabbing folk.

Seems this coin is rarely if at all slabbed let alone in such good nick....does the uniqueness of having it slabbed add value to a numismatics collector?
    What sort of costs are associated with getting something like this slabbed?
    If FDC what sort of grading am I looking at? MS69-70? different term?

2. Stoic Phoenix

NGCCOIN.COM dont have any listed above an MS63, Ebay has an MS65 any other suggestions on where I should be researching?

3. serial

serial Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Grading only adds value if you go to sell the coin. What I mean buy this is that you can advertise the coin to a globally market and people can consider how much they are willing to pay based on the third parties opinion of condition. Now its important to be aware that some grading companies opinion of coins holds more weight than others so choose your grading company carefully.

As for it being the 1st slabbed this can occur for a number of reasons.
    Is the coin excessively rare?- I own a coin the is the single finest graded as it is the only one graded. In the last 4 years only 3-4 have changed hands on the open market so it appears that no one else who is into graded coins has obtained one yet.

Is the coin worth grading? - I own several coins that in circulated condition are worth only the grading cost or less. Given the country of origin they are rare in UNC condition hence why I graded them but if circulated I wouldn't have bothered. Some coins are worth less than grading cost even in UNC condition!

Is there an active set registry?- often common coins can have large population reports because people need them to complete set registries and they will submit several to try to get a high grade and boost their set rank. Conversely if there is no set registry for the coin series then people will only grade the key date coins for their personal collection.

Last bit of advice is don't expect 69-70 on your coins, this is an incredibly hard grade to get and just about impossible on any coin over 50years old as there just wasn't the minting technology needed to produce a coin of this quality back then

4. Stoic Phoenix

Thanks serial,
    I can only answer the first of your three questions which is a definitive no its not what I would call rare let alone excessively rare.

Is it worth grading and the active set registry are two questions I would answer respectively with thats what Im trying to figure out and have you a link so I can research.

5. serial

simple, tell me what the coin is, and post a pic if you can

6. Stoic Phoenix

Sending PM now, cant do photo as in SDB currently.
    I appreciate this, I was happy to do my own looking.

7. serial