Since Newcrest took over Lihir in 2010....

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by Eureka Moments, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Its share price has fallen like a rock. $35.95 when they got Lihir, then up over $40 by the end of that year.

Here's a report of the happy takeover at the time:

Lihir shareholders got 1 newcrest share for every 8.5 they held at that time.

Now it has a virtual value of only 2.1 Lihir shares.

Pretty piss poor effort over less than 3 years.

Note in the article that the stronger AUD was helping Newcrest win the bidding at the time. Weaker AUD may now make it ripe for takeover I reckon.

Group buy? :p

disclaimer: I don't own any Newcrest shares and feel sorry for any poor bastard that does.

2. Angavar

Angavar Member

The thing to remember is that Newcrest bought Lihir mainly with shares. So I think the monetary value of the takeover (and the subsequent write downs) is less than the nominal amount. This assumes that Newcrest shares were overvalued at $35.

Also Lihir's share price if it had remained stand alone would have been hammered, so the comparison of the prices then and now is a bit deceiving.

I still think it was a bad takeover - but I don't think it was quite as horrible as is being made out. It has turned out with hindsight to be a terrible decision, but given the information available at the time I think they slightly overpaid - not 4x overpaid as might be implied from above.

Just my 2c.