Silver Stackers is for sale - expressions of interest

Discussion in 'Forum News / Announcements' started by goldpelican, Feb 21, 2023.

1. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

This post has been a long time coming.

It's time to hand the reigns at Silver Stackers over to new ownership.

I started Silver Stackers in 2009 (almost 14 years ago) because of a gap in the online community for Australian stackers. Several career changes, crypto cycles, international moves and personal circumstances later though, I just do not have the time or focus to give this community the attention it deserves, and I have not been otherwise personally involved in the bullion industry for several years.

As an FYI I'm now cofounder at a software startup building software to help local governments administer programs that help to people in need like disabled veterans and unhoused persons access housing benefits they are entitled to, but don't have the means, skills or ability to apply for. My real background is software architecture, and I finally have found a place where I feel like my skills are doing something positive in the world, rather than just being used to improve an insurance company's website performance, or write metal hedging scripts. It's a public benefit corporation, we've already created several local jobs, and it's going to make a real meaningful impact to mitigating homelessness which is a staggering problem here in the US. As a startup it is crazy levels of effort though, 12 hour days aren't uncommon, and there's just no time for Silver Stackers on top of that and everything else going on in life.

So - expressions of interest time. Over the past couple of years there's been a few members reach out that are interested in acquiring Silver Stackers. It is a viable business (but it won't be full time employment for anyone!), but a definite worthwhile side hustle for someone who can put the hat on and run the place. There's been zero focus on growing advertising for the past few years, which used to be the mainstay of the forum - the right person with the right ideas could do a lot with the place. Good bones.

Ideally the buyer will have some basic IT proficiency in managing a website - the site is open source forum software using PHP and MySQL, and hosted on a virtual server, but nothing terribly complicated. You certainly don't need to be a programmer.

If you are interested in having a conversation about acquiring the website - please send me a PM, and we can take it to email from there. I have an asking price in mind, but it will be reasonable, and recoupable. All enquiries will be treated in strictest confidence.

Ben (GoldPelican).

2. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thank you Ben for the past 14 years. At 72 I am not in a position to take up a new long term endeavour but would be happy to help out any future owner(s) of SS.

GF, markcoinoz, SolidAg and 11 others like this.
  3. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hope you find a good buyer Ben that will take the forum into the future in the best way possible, it's been quite a journey since the original forum and through the move into the current iteration, I made lots of friends here. Best wishes with your new startup!

4. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

many thx big B!

swoydaz, AG Hamster and Real $ like this.
  5. Silverbandit007

Silverbandit007 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thank you for all your time starting this forum, it has turned into a great community of stackers here mainly in Australia. Best wishes on your future endeavours and I am sure we will all support the new owner/s in due course.

6. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

How long are you willing to wait for the right buyer??

STKR likes this.
  7. madaw1

madaw1 Well-Known Member

Thank you Ben for set up this wonderful site. It was privilege to be member of Silver Stackers for many years. Hopping SS will continue to operate in the future as well...
    Cheers..;)

8. Lord_Dudley

Lord_Dudley Active Member Silver Stacker

This is a great forum and I would support it as a running enterprise. Thank you Ben for starting it.

G'day all, I would be interested in joining a syndicate of business minded full member Silver Stackers to own and run this website. I have no IT or programming background. My contribution will be mainly financial and if need be, consultant in biz development. Let's start with a show of hands as a syndicate for now.

Cheers,

LD

9. sammysilver

I’m in subject to due diligence.

10. bubblebobble2

bubblebobble2 Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

^^^
    interested with syndicate, subject to $$$…thx L_D!

11. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

A syndicate is welcome to approach and express interest.

12. Darwin

Darwin Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Depending on the conditions of said syndicate, I would be interested - although I also don't have a great deal of experience with IT-related activities...

13. humbolt

humbolt Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

your endevours are at the very least as or more worthy than SS as i'm a Veteran ere in OZ its an all to common story here to

thanks for all youve done for me personally early years Ben and the forum in general up to now best of luck
    and thanks again
    humbolt

GF, markcoinoz, Shaddam IV and 2 others like this.
  14. heartastack

heartastack Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'd just like to also say congrats for finding profitable, sustainable and rewarding work that contributes to the betterment of society. It's difficult to do without compromise. You're higher up Maslow's hierarchy than probably 99.9% of people will ever be - and the future owner of SS will also be part of that legacy. PROST!

lucky luke and sammysilver like this.
  15. Golden Goose

Golden Goose Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

A syndicate sale would be of interest I think it would be a great way to grow and strengthen the SS community!

16. dozerz

dozerz Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

thanks ben for all your work over the years, would be a shame to lose this site.

happy to offer my support for joining a syndicate and some computer skills if they should be needed.

Real $, swoydaz and madaw1 like this.
  17. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I guess it would be one of the largest understatements ever to say that without your adminstration of this forum and hard work in its early days that I would not be in the position I am in today.

I owe a lot to this forum, as it introduced me to some of the most influential and important people / friends / business partners and various combinations of all 3 I have had the pleasure of being associated with over my 50+ years.

I will of course support whomever takes on the task to move this forum forward.

Good Luck.

Mark (Ck)

18. Bullion Baron

Bullion Baron Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Thank you for all your efforts over the years Ben. This site was such a core part of my education around precious metals during the last bull market.

Glad to hear you've moved onto something you find fulfilling.

To add to the comments above, I would also potentially be interested in contributing to a syndicate deal, but not enough spare time to lead it myself. If someone organises one, reach out :)

GF, madaw1 and Lord_Dudley like this.
  19. RichardAL

RichardAL Active Member Silver Stacker

I am prepared to offer what support I can, given no IT expertise,etc

20. sammysilver

PM sent GP.

adze67 likes this.