Silver Kangaroos - Undervalued?

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Matthew 26:14, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Unlike a series such as the Redback etc, the Kangaroos are released each year. So the product keeps being brought before the public. As such people who say buy a 2012, 2013, 2014 etc etc Kangaroo will then think about collecting the past coins..... And then there's a bottleneck in the supply of the past years in 2007 & 2008 making those coins a higher premium. I suspect the 2007 & 2008 coins will only go up in value over time. I don't see the interest in collecting the 07 and 08 dropping if anything, increasing.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

3. ninteno

ninteno Member

4. silversardine

silversardine Member

I contacted them two weeks ago and it took them several days to answer an email and say they did not have stock. Clearly they did not update their web site then.

5. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

Well, I'll be arriving at the Mt Gravatt coin fair early on Sunday for a kanga hunt, try and beat me to it... I dare you :p

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Would probably work out cheaper for ninteno to fly over and buy with the prices they are getting on Ebay for them at the moment . :)

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Now I know it's Gold and it is a 2007 kanga but I mean REALLY..... this is just taking things to a whole new level FFS it is 3 grams of Gold , 270731059181

8. RhythmDoctor

I could make jokes about Germans reserving sun loungers by laying towels on them the night before... but I'll hold off and make nice :p

9. ninteno

ninteno Member

Its not possible for me two follow your jokes but i would love to do so.
    Anybody here to translate for personally me.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I'm not joking , I am saying that it would be cheaper for you to fly to Australia and buy a lot of Kangaroo coins than buying them off ebay .

RhythmDoctor is taking the piss (having a joke) about German efficiency, reserving a sunbathing space the day before you need it by putting a towel on the chair the night before.

11. RhythmDoctor

Hey man, I'm not joking, it actually happens!!!! I have been in the Canary Islands a number of times and seen it happen day in day out :D

It is bloody funny though!

12. Matthew 26:14

What dont they reserve? In thailand saw then try to "reserve" a time at the resort pool..... VERY odd behaviour indeed !

13. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

I thought it was the Poms that always did the 'towel reservation' thing at hotels?

14. Matthew 26:14

Must be a european thing...

15. Blockhead

Blockhead Active Member

the 2010 and 11 kangaroos are in just about every post office i've seen in Brisbane for $50 a pop. Nobody is buying them, i bet if spot goes above 50 they'll still be there for the same price.

16. ninteno

ninteno Member

Can you tell us what prices were asked for thr roos.

17. ninteno

ninteno Member

You can buy them in a post office ? :D If they are available in post offices there should be a big mintage out for 2010 and 2011.
    That should help prices comming up for all older roos in near future. More and more people see our Fiat money collapsing.
    OK, your AU$ is very strong against US$ and since 2008, but it is also only printet paper.

I do not really know how big is the demand on bullions in australia, but i think is also growing.

We have a legal tender coin in germany - 10 round (16.6gr fine silver,18 gr. 92,5%) You could buy them at local bank for 10.
    They were minted from 2002-2010. In 2010 only there was a mintage of 12.000.000 coins.
    They government stopped mintage at the end of 2010 because of rising silver price.

At beginning of 2011 there was a new one with only (10 - 10.0gr fine silver,15.5 gr. 62,5%). Nearly 2.000.000 coins were also sold within 2-3 weeks and they gave only max. 5 coins to each person asked for them in banks.
    They also were sold from coindealers ( paperrolls with 25pcs ), but they asked a premium on it.

Now they stopped the 62.5% silver coins too. There will be no more silver coins with a face value of 10.

In France for example, the also have legal silver coins, but the face value is 25 and 50.

18. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Big A.D. you answered my hypothetical queries in the "today i bought" bit.
    I just bought silver kangaroo bullion:
    1995 - $37
    1996 - $37
    1997- $40
    1998 - $37 and
    2002 - $40
    av price = $38.20 = under current spot price so given your information i'm even more happy.

You are right about the single coins. That is all i have with the exception of the 2011. This thread maybe has changed my mind though on these coins. Maybe lunars and kangaroos are the way to go atm?
    Although those 1966 50's seem to be extremely popular at present (i don't know why).

I assume that i can find the mintage figures for the kangaroos easily enough on the net?

19. bgtrader

bgtrader New Member

$50 a pop in the window of my local coin store today. I didn't walk in if they had of been like your prices I would of snapped a couple up. I like the kanagroo.

20. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I'd like to buy more but i'm not meant to be spending this month....
    It does pay considerably to develop a (friendly working) relationship with the shop owner. Stop and have a chat ocasionally.