Silver is Approaching Stage Two of its Bull Market - James Turk

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Ouch, Feb 16, 2011.

1. lakesentrance

lakesentrance Member

The question would be, during hyperinflation, as to whether you could afford to keep sitting on your stack until things returned to normal.

I can fantasise about my 1kg of Pamp being used to buy our whole street. Then I can become a real estate ogliarch, put them all to work as slaves for a threepence a month.

2. Grimnar

Grimnar New Member

I think to achieve that, you would need to trade your pamp bar for a currency that is holding its value. You may need to leave the country to do that.
    Once the afore mentioned currency is in your hot little hand, you can trade it on the day of settlement for the required amount of local currency to complete your transactions.
    Your tenants can then pay you in food and services, until the market returns and your holdings are rentable again.... which will likely make it a very long term investment!

3. Ridesags

Ridesags New Member

I think the term is Slumlord !

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I'd prefer to take the wealth, buy a very affordable home outright and invest the rest in extremely devalued businesses with machinery and manufacturing options to get the cogs of economic growth turning again.

I wouldn't need to enslave the people around me to turn a profit. In fact, it's bone lazy ideology to do so. Extortion is only so effective in the long run before the masses rise up against you and retaliate for your exploitation.

Creating real production and items of value for trade would certainly be more work, but the eventual profits to be realised would be a lot greater than being a slum lord, not to mention be far more rewarding for personal satisfaction too.

Why own rental houses when you can buy working farms?

Why buy slummy apartment blocks, when you can buy a factory?

This is part of the Australian paradigm at the moment which needs to be shot, burned, stamped on and thrown out the window in order to realise that it's our manufacturing and production base that contains the REAL wealth for smart investors long term.

We're resting on laurels in this country right now selling minerals and flipping houses. Dumb, dumb, dumb ideology I think.

The astute investor will roll up the sleeves, buy a well established business at a low cost and build it into an economic powerhouse and put those flimsy property investments to shame!

5. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Because the supermarket duopoly will screw you into poverty by giving you pittance for your milk then selling at $1 litre and reducing the competition by dominating the milk section with their own branded milk. At which the consumer will jump to buy the duopoly-branded $1/l milk because they don't care who gets screwed in the process as long as they can buy milk for $1/l, despite not thinking that the duopoly will get the additional money from you in their other items and the impulse purchases that are often made while shopping.

My Grandad used to sell them lettuces in the 70's for some spare cash until he saw the mark up they were making as opposed what his hard work got him. When the realisation hit he decided he didn't need the spare cash after all. I'm sure the duopoly didn't care.

Please avoid the $1 litre milk and stand up for the farmers.

6. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Shopping at Coles and Woolworths is anti Australian.

7. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Aus pm manufacturing in the world economy is hard unless you have run a business with employees you wouldnt really know the costs.Thats why most businesses go offshore now its more economically viable .Im all for australian manufacturing but the costs are prohibitve I couldnt imagine having a manufacturing business atm with the $AUS so high & the cost of wages ,super rent or factory payments all the WHS regulations etc.It is possible but most consumers go for the cheaper alternative so you would be making things for 10 % of the people the other 90% would buy imported .I know what percentage of the market i would target . Its just good business sense to manufacture products cheaper the profit margins are larger . Napthalene man,I do feel for the farmers though i only buy australian produce

8. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

As do I - i get scolded by the wife if i buy out of season or imported fruit for example. I just don't buy the $1/l milk.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Of course it's hard, why do you think so many 'investors' out there are rentier capitalists on borrowed money in the first place?

But we're debating this at present from a current day climate, not when all bets are off when the system collapses.

Anyone who honestly thinks that renters are going to pay 'full market rent' when you can buy a street of housing for a bar are kidding themselves.

By the same token, if you think Mr Farmer is going to keep selling his produce that the populace are screaming for at the same pitiful rates Coles and Woolies want to offer him, you're not being realistic either.

When the SHTF, that's when markets open up and opportunities rise for the small market player. A lot of those 'barriers' which exist now, fall away as the system desparately scrambles to stay intact.

Whether they do it legitimately (cashing in on increased demand & government relenting on controls and restrictions to stave off complete anarchy) or via the black market, fact is, when all bets are off, the values in the market change drastically.

Look at your history guys. Factories and manufacturing plants that produce essential items with intrinsic value thrive when the fit hits the shan.

Housing values died and the producers were king.

That's why post WW2 America was the leading super power in the world & honestly, why it won the war at all. It was the leading manufacturing base of the entire world.

Now that it's a net importer and bleeding to death through the rigged financial markets, it's dying a sad death.

Manufacturing and production of real goods are the key to sustained wealth. It's just that we've become a nation of debtors now for so long, we've lost sight of the obvious.

Nationalism is a key psychological weapon in controlling the populace.

It's also (alongside religion) one of the two leading causes of unnatural death in humans through history.

10. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Manufacturing profitably could work only under a gold-silver standard,
    Once you introduce fiat & credit, it will suck the profits from the producers/manufacturers and bankrupt them.

11. chimpanchu

chimpanchu New Member

I don't think silver is anywhere near stage 3... it hasn't even past 1980s high $50 yet! There are still alot of skeptics out there who don't think silver can beat it's all time high.

Once silver do hit $50+, it'll take a couple more years for those skeptics to believe the "unbelievable"!

But It past stage 1 for sure.

12. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Yep, wake me up at $50 an oz then we'll talk about Stage 3.

13. rick_au

rick_au Member

Coles pay for my silver

14. lakesentrance

lakesentrance Member

No $1 milk for us. Refused to buy it when they first advertised it. I can just imagine the farmer. Up at 4am every morning, then milking again in the arvo. And in between working his guts out to keep the cows, machinery and grass in order. And then get's paid .50c or less for his effort per litre. It's a rippoff.

I think manufacturing when the shtf would be an excellent business to be in.

By todays standards, it's a lousy business to be in with wages, super, workcover, insurance and the rest. But when labour costs come down, and the market is unregulated, if you've got a necessary product, i'm sure it'd be a killer. Either that or be a food grower.