Silver in burns dressings

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Kasanga, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Kasanga

Kasanga Member

Found out today they use silver in burns dressings my 2 yr old nephew got a burnt today bad enough to have to go to the emergency room. He will be fine has some dressings for a few days. The hospital put a silver content dressing on him. Apparently it is used quite a bit for all sorts of burns and other wounds.

Yet another use for the silver shiney stuff

2. Maggie

Maggie New Member Silver Stacker

Hope the little one is better soon.

3. Ernster

Ernster New Member

That's definitely some Silver that isnt coming back.

4. Auagau

Auagau Active Member

Did you ask for some extra dressing just in case?

5. draeger

draeger Member

Silver sulfadiazine

6. adze67

adze67 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Actually one of the MAJOR things that will really boost silver...it's antibacterial qualities.
    Has no peer with this regard, and only requires miniscule amounts for effectiveness (so not very price concious ;-) )
    If silver doubles or triples it will have a negligable effect on the input costs (but will eventually consume a much larger share of diminishing global production)
    Yet another reason 'Silver is Best'...the rest is the 'rest'...
    IMHO...

7. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Wonder if there's been any research done into superbugs developing "silver resistance", like some of the antibiotic resistant bugs around today. Would be nice to think that silver stays a "silver bullet" (pun intended) for infections without risk of resistance developing from overuse.

8. Shaddam IV

Shaddam IV Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have heard that the medical experts are concerned that silver is being used all over in washing machine bowls and fabrics for example, as they are worried that this may help bugs to build resistance to what is possibly the last hope substance as antibiotics fail.

9. adze67

With due respect, IMHO, the so-called 'medical experts' are so far entrenched into 'Big Pharma' pockets that they very rarely add value to the discussions ;-)

GP - from my studies into silver's medical properties, it really is a 'silver bullet' (maybe thats where the folk tales originated), as the bugs can't survive exposure (no survivors - no resistance?)
    Antibiotics don't always kill them all, take weeks of repeat 'courses', and get flushed into our water systems and in those lower doses allow the bugs to build immunity (think our own ideas of innoculation...)
    Coloidal silver water supplies (silver in - silver out) on the other hand would be pretty beneficial as silver is used in water purification.
    The increasing use of silver can really assist us in our existence battle...although being a natural substance it can't be patented, so no big business royalty streams...Wonder why they aren't embracing it? :rolleyes:

10. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Good question GP i wonder if they have even tried silver on superbugs at all .Like VRE which is one of the hardest to cure or MRSA.VRE is vancomycin resistant enterococci . Vancomycin Hydrochloride is 1 of the strongest antibiotics we have atm.maybe someone should shoot an email off to the health authorities about it

11. Chillidog

Chillidog New Member Silver Stacker

I am in hospital nearly everyday. Get tested for VRE and MRSA amongst others, never seen or heard silver being used. I think it is used topically on burns but for bugs mentioned before you would need to either drink silver or infuse it to come into contact, even though you can swab for MRSA it lives on and in you.
    I am not a doctor. Just what I see.
    Could give the full run down of how to swabs and samples are taken but not dinner conversation.
    Will ask on Monday what the go with silver in this senario is.

12. kilo

kilo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Not sure of the pharmacokenitics but I have seen silver availble in liquid form for oral administration for use against internal infections.

13. hihosilver

hihosilver New Member

http://silverporkchops.web44.net/page10.html

14. itsmadeofAWESOME

itsmadeofAWESOME New Member

I've actually used that ointment before. I used to ride on the back of my ex's motorcycle and burned my legs on the pipe a couple of times.
    It's pretty amazing, really. The burns that I used the silver stuff on left no scars. The other ones, I still have scars from it 3 years later.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Been using colloidal silver for years ,

16. VANGBAC

VANGBAC Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Dust mites cannot suvive with silver tread in a mattress.Good for asthmatics but pricy. Used in dressings and now Military uniforms and especially socks. Stops tinia and foot rot and fungus generally.many asian countries have the old myths that if their children ware silver.It will keep the evil spirits away but to mainly avoid medical problems.

17. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Any ideas how some colloidal silver could be produced if you have some 999 silver coins at home?

I also have some sheets ( micro thickness ) of silver used for gilding, what about whacking them on some burns?

Any thoughts?

18. silvertongue

silvertongue Member Silver Stacker

Hmm.. The effect of silver ions on nasties like E-coli and such is the attraction of the ion to the protein wall of the bacteria, and then covalent bonding causes the wall to rupture causing collapsing of the internal protoplast. So for silver ions to become ineffective the bacteria would need to mutate so that either:
    A - The protein wall remained un-effected by electro-chemical disruption (not real likely).
    B - A rupture of the wall would not cause the cell to collapse (even less likely).
    However, I'm an R&D engineer, not a chemical biologist, so I can't say conclusively that such a mutation couldn't occur.
    The trick is that currently the ion must be in contact with the organism for about 30-40 minutes (depending on a range of factors) for the process to be effective.
    Having said that, various forms of electromagnetic excitation of the silver ion have proven to be effective against an even broader range of pathogens.
    I'll be doing more research on this in about 8 weeks, and while I can't share any of the I.P. (for obvious reasons), if anything amazing eventuates you'll see me purchasing Ag like there's no tomorrow... :D

19. silvertongue

silvertongue Member Silver Stacker

You could do it with 999 coins, but 9999 would give a better result... Put a beaker or other glass container on a turntable arrangement (replaces magnetic or thermal stirrer) - can be old record player or junked from a microwave (after disabling the magnetron!!!). Use a 6 volt or 9 volt battery. Suspend the coins towards the edge of the container so that when it revolves the water passes between the coins. Place the coins about 15mm apart. Ensure that only the silver and not the connections to the coins are submerged. Place a 270 ohm resistor in line with the positive battery supply to one of the coins. Connect the battery negative to the other coin. Use double distilled water (no impurities or you'll wind up with a measure of silver chloride). Connect battery and spin turntable. After 40 to 180 minutes (depending on voltage, temperature of water, etc.) the solution should take on a slightly yellowish tinge. This is your colloidal silver. Turn off, remove coins, and store liquid away from sunlight. I the solutions is "milky" it's gone wrong, and is not colloidal but a silver salt - throw it away. Do not ingest if it's in any way "milky" in appearance.

Of course, for legal reasons, I do not suggest ingestion of the product of this process anyway, and classify it as a "method offered for experiment only". :) User assumes all responsibility...

Cheers.

20. adze67

Or you could pick up a bottle from the chemist for about $10...:)