Silver Hmmm

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Iluvnumbers, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Iluvnumbers

Iluvnumbers Member

Hi All, can anyone name any social/financial commentator that "rabbits on"/promotes silver (or PM'S in general) That has absolutely zero vested interest in doing so. I cannot think of one?

2. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

As in one with a large following? that would be very difficult.

The reason most of these guys have a large folowing is because they tell sheep exactly what they want to hear 100% of the time, they do this because well... they have a vested interest of some sort and attracting sheep makes them wealthy.
    The sad reality is that these people get rich from the suckers they attract, that's why it angers me when people start praising people like Bob Chapman and Sprott.

3. hussman

hussman Member

Bob Chapman isn't that bad. And hardly got any vested interests since he doesnt even sell the stuff.

4. Aureus

Aureus Active Member Silver Stacker

http://theinternationalforecaster.com/Free_Sample_Issue
    Get the x-mas discount quick! :lol:

The guy acts like he has all these contacts, says things that are pleasing to the masses (crash JPM buy silver) in the hopes you sign up to his newsletter. This is a guy that said Silver had no chance of meeting resistance at $50, a guy that did not notice a very obvious parabolic rise. That in itself is enough for me to ignore him, if people keep forgiving these permabulls for their stupid calls then they'll never learn. Unfortunantly that was all too evident as we saw the uneducated buy in the low 40s all the way up to the crash.

Anyone aboard the "crash JPM buy Silver" train are useless, JPM make money every single day of their existance so to think anyone could take them down is just laughable. It may not be right but that's the reality of the matter so there's no point crying about it. Honestly, people that buy into that crap deserve to make a loss on their investments.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, this anger comes soley from watching people make bad calls because of people like Bob. Coming here and seeing people buzz $50 ASEs and maples, that kind of thing.

5. konsole

konsole New Member

To have enough knowledge on an investment to provide accurate commentary usually means you need to have first hand experience investing in it. It's like he said, if you really believe in an investment why would you sit in the sidelines and not make money on it. At the same time it might be smart to suggest that if a silver commentator wasnt invested in silver at all, then maybe they don't truely believe in it? Just go with the people that have been in silver for a long time like Ted Butler, David Morgan, Mike Maloney.

6. euphoria

euphoria New Member

I have a lot of respect for Sprott. Bob chapman? not so much.

7. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

"The guy acts like he has all these contacts, says things that are pleasing to the masses (crash JPM buy silver) in the hopes you sign up to his newsletter. This is a guy that said Silver had no chance of meeting resistance at $50, a guy that did not notice a very obvious parabolic rise. That in itself is enough for me to ignore him, if people keep forgiving these permabulls for their stupid calls then they'll never learn. Unfortunantly that was all too evident as we saw the uneducated buy in the low 40s all the way up to the crash."

David Morgan also stated that silver wouldn't meet resistance at $50.

For investment advice, I am pretty much down to Robin Griffiths, Jim Rickards, and Jim Rogers. None of the rest of them have been accurate enough for me. Several others are interesting reading, but are of no value to me for investing my money.

8. Wout

Wout New Member

Sprott is a salesman with a huge premium on the PSLV product an hi job is to market it, the more he talks it up the more people he sucks in

I dont bother listening to him or David Morgan any more because they sell silver so they clearly have a biased agenda of promoting it to the masses

When things are going up you will always get these kind of people jumping on the bandwagon and promoting it because people in general are far more inclined to buy when they see prices rising quickly, I realise this now in myself when silver was going parabolic and I got sucked into buying it at $32 - $38 AUD

I also noticed how Sprott went quite for a long time after silver crashed and is now re emerging and talking it up again

In saying that I still think long term looking ahead 5 - 10 years silver will be good to hold but ive scaled back my exposure and its only about 12.5% of my portfolio now

Funny thing is because Im such a rookie investor when I feel really bearish i force myself to contradict myself and buy a small amount, I guess its my way of hedging against my emotions lol

9. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

gold and silver have been dreadful investments. All these spruikers should be thrown in jail. :p

10. hawkeye

hawkeye New Member Silver Stacker

Jim Rickards has rapidly become one of my favourites. Gary from SmartMoneyTracker is pretty good too, he says when he thinks it's going down and is invariably right, although he charges for his newsletter. MoneyMorning guys are not bad for an Oz perspective. Mish for general economics. That's about it for me these days. Most others tried and either discarded or on the periphery.

11. pmbug

pmbug Active Member

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM-LrMimRys[/youtube]

http://www.industrymailout.com/Industry/Home/5274/22439/images/0611 Caveat Venditor.pdf

???

I can understand dismissing a pied piper who is disingenuous or frequently saying dumb things, but disparaging people via ad hominems (like the OP attempts to do) without addressing the substance of what they are saying is very lazy.

12. octapotamus

octapotamus Member Silver Stacker

I really like Clive Maund, good food for thought, and he has had some good calls. He sells a newsletter but not metals, and has a bullish long-term outlook for them.

http://www.clivemaund.com/

Turd Ferguson is great too, prolific writer and podcaster with a realist/S will definitely HTF outlook. Again, not a metals seller but with a strong long-term outlook.

http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/

As far as Maloney/Chapman/Sprott/Morgan etc go, I largely ignore those guys now. I see their vested interest as a HUGE conflict of interest when it comes to serving as Market Commentators.