Silver dish advice please

Discussion in 'Silver' started by ausau, Dec 11, 2010.

1. ausau

ausau Active Member Silver Stacker

Hi,
    I just bought a dish that I think is silver with the following on it:
    "Fitting Copelands White Bakers"
    "B & G"
    "GS"
    "EP"
    It measures maybe 32 x 26cm, not sure of its weight as I don't have scales but its heavy.

Is it silver?
    A Google search leads me to believe it is but is "silver" different from "sterling silver"?
    I will do a search on here in regards to cleaning it if someone could let me know if it is actually silver that would be great.
    If there are tips on cleaning it that would also be appreciated.

One more question, when it comes to buying "silver" at garage sales and secondhand stores, how can you tell whether it is silver or not?
    I found some small Olympic momento spoons from the 1982 Olympics with a Koala on the end and they feel very heavy but I am not sure they are silver.

Sorry if this is more of an antiques question!

Thank you in advance,

Blake.

2. Silver Soul

Silver Soul Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Blake does it have anymore markings on it like a lion?

3. boston

boston Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I know nothing of plate silver, however doesn't 'EP' stand for 'electro plated'. I am sure someone will chime in a clarify the question for you.

4. sammich

sammich New Member

gs = german silver?

5. Silver Soul

First you need to establish if it has the lion stamped on it. EP could well be a makers hallmark, like this

http://www.silvercollection.it/englishsilvermarksXEDUE3.html

6. W Davis & Son

W Davis & Son New Member

I would hace to agee that EP is electo plate,
    If you would like to bring it to my office we could test it for you. (no charge).
    Peter

7. ausau

8. Silver Soul

Blake,

Don't be disappointed with the purchase mate..... It is still a lovely plate. Give it to your mum for xmas, she will love you for it. You have learn' t from a mistake. We all here have made them......Next dusty silver plate you turn over might just be a very cheap winner....if you study hallmarks.

Cheers

9. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Not sterling, but a nice decorative piece nonetheless. You could do far worse than pay $15 for it, for example go into an antique shop and have a look at some of the prices they charge for EPNS !!!! Main mark to look for is the lion passant, or if its from the US it usually has Sterling stamped on it, you might also see 925 which basically means 92.5% pure which is the purity of Sterling, as opposed to say 999 on a bullion. Another good website which I find a touch easier to navigate is

http://www.925-1000.com/index.html

Log onto say ebay, look up some pieces and practice your hallmarks by referring to the sites mentioned. You'll be able to pinpoint it's purity, the maker, the town it was made and the year it was made with just a little practice. :)

A couple of pointers when buying Sterling: knives - the blades usually steel because silver is too soft to use as a long term cutting edge; candlesticks and candelabras are often filled with stuff like cement to give ballast so they seem really heavy but its not silver giving it its mass. There's also different levels of quality in EPNS as well, good fun :)

10. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

I too found a silver plate at an op shop for $5. It was very heavy and quit large. I posted here with basically the same questions. Alas too it was silver plated but it was the best piece of silver I ever bought. Sold it for $50. They were the days (900% rise in 3days).

I sold it to the local coin shop.

Best of luck if you sell.

Regards Errol43

11. ausau

Hi Everyone,
    Thanks again for the replies, it certainly is an interesting and fun learning curve!

I will do some study and keep hunting around.

Thank you to Peter, that is very generous of you but alas I live in Perth, when the Eagles next get in the grand final (probably around 2020!) I will come in and see you!

This is a brilliant forum, I am not sure if I am more addicted to silver and gold or to this forum, it is really interesting to see what everyone has bought recently and what their collections are like.

Thank you to everyone who commented, it is really nice of all of you.

Blake.