Silver Crashes Yet Pandas Stay Strong

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by silverlover, Sep 26, 2011.

1. silverlover

silverlover Member

New 2011 Pandas have been getting hurt a bit but the older Pandas are staying strong on EBay. The 2002 Panda that was listed for $139 on Apmex is now sold out (this sold out after silver crashed 25%!!, I'm guessing these will be priced higher once they get some stock) as well as the 2006.I believe this was for $109.

Gotta love Pandas. Here is proof in the pudding that pre2011 coins not only hold their premium but coins move fast in the market. When silver goes up so do the premiums as well.

2. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Mister Panda (yennus) gave a presentation about this yesterday, and it's true what he and you say :)

Damn Silver pandas are so good, keeping value even as spot tanks (except for 2011s).

In fact, I think the premiums on the Gold Pandas have gone UP since Gold spot died... at least on APMEX.

3. Bart

Bart New Member

Yep. Last time I went to buy a kilo bar, I bought the equivalent in pandas from yennus, instead....wish I thought of it earlier.

4. MetalMajix

MetalMajix Member

Are the 2011 silver pandas likely to appreciate in value, similar to the earlier years?

What is the issue with milk spotting?

TIA.

Cheers,

5. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think the 2011s will definitely appreciate in value... I am of the opinion that they will get a free boost in price once the 2012s come out (it has happened for every other previous Panda).

Demand for the 2011s have been hot all year round, and especially with this latest drop in spot, I am seeing some fantastic inquiries that are turning into purchases. Makes a small time collector like me blush at the amounts people are pouring into 2011s. I think they are all on the right track.

Retail pricing for 1oz 2011s in Shanghai are still above $47 (including local taxes).

The recent drop in the AUD against the RMB is also keeping the 2011 1oz Pandas expensive to purchase in China.

6. silverlover

silverlover Member

Did he really say that??

Wow, nice!

Noticed this over the weekend and well into today.

7. tamo42

tamo42 New Member

Yep, the numismatics are staying firm while bullion prices plummet on margin hikes. I mentioned this in list #91 over at LBC.

This is one of the major advantages of Chinese collectibles over bullion. Bullion goes up and down. The numis go up and flat (OK, sometimes slightly down ;) ).

8. yennus

yennus Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It is an honor to have Tamo42 comment in here. Many thanks for your wise words. :)

9. silverlover

silverlover Member

Ditto on what Yennus said. It's an honor and a pleasure to have you here. :cool: