Silver Bars VS Silver Coins

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Lunardragon, Jan 29, 2012.

1. rodrigo

rodrigo New Member

Perth baby!

What weighs more - a ton of feathers or a ton of brick? Do the math (lol)

Perth, NTR...it shines right?

2. adrenalin

adrenalin New Member

2000 10oz Silver Dragon...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2000-10-...311?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb9bccaff

3. No1joey

No1joey Member Silver Stacker

Wow. Why pay over 1000 for 10 oz when you could be holding 30 oz for the same amount. 1 oz of silver is 1 oz silver if your into stacking for smart & safe investing. Otherwise your just a collector not too concerned about recouping your premiums in the future. How is paying a premium insurance? That makes no sense.

There are two types of stackers emotionless investors, & emotional enthusiasts.

4. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

OR Me and people I sell to :p (now to put it in practice (stoopid 10oz kooks!))

5. No1joey

It's not like Perth mint sold it at 1000% over spot if they did then I would agree the premiums exist for a solid and recognized reason. 1 oz dragons were $38 when they sold out then people are paying double to me that is collecting and not investing. Your counting on collectors to be there and pay what you paid - at the minimum. Please make sure you at least have some silver you can offload if you need to and not be hoping to recoup +100% premiums.

6. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

You pay $12.50 premium for a 2012 10oz dragon over a 10oz Perth Mint bar (Goldstackers spread).

By sacrificing 0.4oz silver every 10oz you are protected in case silver spot price does not go parabolic (to $1000+).

Historically speaking, 10oz lunars have outperformed 10oz bars in terms of their premiums over spot.

There are no older year 10oz lunars which are only $12.50 above the price of a Perth Mint bar.

Actually that is completely wrong. Perth Mint sells some crappy colored numismatics for 200-300% over spot and soon after release they are worth maybe spot + 20%, if you get a buyer that is. Well maybe spot +100%, but you're still losing.

An article was posted on here recently about the Royal Mint and their ripoff numismatic issues.

The point of coins is that you buy bullion coins with the potential of it becoming numismatic in the future ($$$$!), if (big if, even koalas do) it doesn't become numismatic worst case scenario you still can sell it as bullion at same prices as bars. You lose the $12.50 premium but the silver spot price should more than compensate $1.25/oz premium.

THAT is insurance.

7. No1joey

I bought 3 x 10 oz dragons worked out to be $36 per oz Inc postage.

Don't understand why people would pay $450/$500 for them as seen on eBay.

People were paying $360 for Perth mint bars when they were selling them for $300

8. No1joey

MMm hate those coloured coins or 'commemorative' ones..

9. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You didn't buy generic bars?!

Throwing your money away!

People are diverse, they buy silver for a variety of reasons, if we all bought silver for the same reason there would only be one product available. Eventually the mints will see what is popular and what is not, and they will kill the duds, until then it is up to you to decide what to buy.

For the first two years of stacking all I would buy were round 50 cents and 50% pre dec, wouldn't touch numis or bars or gold, five years later I have them all in my stack and continue to add them as appropriate, spot increases = buy numis, spot decreases = buy bars, silver does nothing = buy other investments.

It takes a while but your views on silver do change, particulalry the longer you are on this site, I even bought a Panda last year (gave it to a kids daughter as a Christmas present but it is a start)

EDIT eBay is a law unto intself, I think most eBayers are lazy and treat it as a one stop shop "I once bought a cheap second hand t-shirt on eBay = everything on eBay is a bargain"

I saw "Touching North", an Andy Goldsworthy book on eBay for around 80+. A quick Google and I found an art gallery up in Scotland selling them for 35, they had them on the shelf for ages, I bought three of them and the guy on the phone even said he thought he could probably get a lot more for them if he stuck them on eBay (no idea why he didn't, just an employee I guess)

The sellers have to add at least 10% in order to make a profit otherwise they end up losing through paypal and eBay fees, this seems to set the low price for the all Buy it Now sales. The rest is just eBayers getting caught up in the frenzy.

10. No1joey

Generic bars same price, give or take $1 per oz. No brainer. Not exactly +100% premium. Or more.

11. Jislizard

You know I am just teasing! I know what you mean, I would have done the same, in fact I did.

However when people say (not necessarily you) there is no point in paying for a premium because when you melt it down, it will be worth the same, they miss the point somewhat.

I am still buying and selling fractional silver coins from 1911, they have changed hands many times and in all that time no one has melted them down, it is unlikely that the people I pass them onto will melt them down either. Same with proofs, there are a whole load of silver items which will be melted down before any of the numismatic items. Thinking only about the weight of silver and not about its form reduces your options massively and there are plenty of willing purchasers out there who are more than happy to part with good cash for numismatic items, it is known as the Hobby of Kings for a reason.

If you are into this for wealth preservation, as a way to stop inflation from cutting into your savings then it is as good a way as any, possibly gold more so than silver.

If you are looking at this for investment purposes with a view to making money then in the current market, the numismatic side is something you should not be blind to.

Silver isn't just Silver!

12. JohnBB

JohnBB New Member

Hi
    Just like too add my 2c worth , I just picked up 1 x 10oz dragon for $361 and got a $20 gift card.. which means i only paid $341 for my 10oz dragon :D
    apparently westfields shopping centers are having a promotion where you spend $150 and get a $20 gift card.
    So i got my dragon for $34.10 a ounce.

13. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

WINNING! :D , sucks to be on the GC

14. Lunardragon

Lunardragon Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

which westfield? is the promo still valid ?

15. banjo

banjo Member

16. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

http://www.westfield.com.au/burwood/news-and-events/gift-card-spend-promo

Source: http://www.westfield.com.au/au/be-inspired/features/2011-ss/01-spend-win

17. SilverNash

SilverNash New Member

I have a few Taku's but only because where i but from you pay the sane price for bars as coins (same premium on both)

18. HoskinsStreet

HoskinsStreet New Member

The 50% pre dec silver, how can I check the legit price on this?

19. Jislizard

http://www.silverstackers.com/calculators/

it goes for spot if it isn't in great condition, it used to sell for under spot, still might be able to ge some for less but getting harder to find

20. HoskinsStreet

HoskinsStreet New Member

But if you had 10oz of .999 and 10oz of .925 and 10oz of .50, I assume the .999 is worth the most right?