Silver and Gold stacking in modern history

Discussion in 'Silver' started by SouthCoastSilver, Jun 16, 2020.

1. SouthCoastSilver

SouthCoastSilver Active Member

Hey

I am intrigued about Silver and Gold stacking in modern history. So probably around the start of the 20th century until now. Im pretty young, so I am keen to know from a stackers perspective about the dot com bubble economic crash, South African apartheid ending, the post colonial crisis in all of Africa, WW1, WW2, the great depression and above all the switch to currency with zero precious metal contents by every major country

Thanks in advance for the input

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Pretty young.
    Under 40? :D

3. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Under the Bretton-Woods system developed in 1958, countries agreed to keep their currencies generally fixed to the $US and the US agreed to keep the $ fixed according to a set rate of $35/ounce. When Nixon killed the $US/gold standard in 1971, he ushered in a new period where national governments could never go broke. Governments were no longer constrained by pegging currencies to commodities or the USD. The implications of this were enormous and are still misunderstood by many, including gold bugs.

This applies to all sovereign nations who have control over the creation of currency. It does not apply to nations controlled by the EU Central bank nor nations that peg their currencies to another.

4. SouthCoastSilver

Still got a long way to go to hit 40

Interesting points, covers a bit of the broader economics of silver stacking that I was after info on, wouldn't mind hearing how the market place for precious metals has developed in conjuction with these points and how particularly events have impacted people, like did the slow dismantling of apartheid see a consistent trickle of mineral wealth leaving the country on account of what they had witnessed in Kenya and Rhodesia?

It loves to get bagged on alot, but on semi free market, fiat based, Keynesian economy has been doing pretty good for a while now. When, if ever will it collapse? Alongside the inevitable (historically) collapse of world super powers?

5. JohnnyBravo300

JohnnyBravo300 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It's coming no different than every other time it's been tried in the past and failed.
    Maybe the difference will be the sheer size of our debt?
    Squirrel stew anyone?

6. OneDay

OneDay Active Member Silver Stacker

Care for some Soylent Green?

7. SouthCoastSilver

Going to give this a bump. I would like to hear some stackers take on things

8. JNS

JNS Active Member Silver Stacker

I went on stacking when i am 32, now i am 45 and still continue, "never sell, never trade". I think, if you have disposable money, modern stacking is good for people with longer time horizon. One thing i learn is - Just don't panic.

The numismatic side makes taught me more lesson how to control urges of buying and to sell, year by year i learn.

Thanks to this site, most especially to the friends who are so active, who are unselfishly giving their insight on the market and our stacking community.

Keep stacking!

oziwassabi and Boyscout like this.
  9. Skyrocket

Skyrocket Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Keep stacking!