Should candidates declare political allegiances before elections?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Eureka Moments, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I voted in my local Council election a couple of weeks ago. I read all of the literature that was sent to me and decided to vote for a person that declared that they were standing as an independent and were not affiliated with any political Party. The person was elected on to the new Council.

A couple of days after the results were declared the person has announced that that they have joined a political Party. They stated that it doesnt matter as Party politics has no influence at a local level.

I am underwhelmed. :|

2. Auspm

Auspm New Member

Conflict of interest is hardly an issue for our political leadership at any level.

I'm surprised you're actually upset by the deceit actually.

3. Eureka Moments

Im not upset, underwhelmed is what I am. Declaring political Party alliegence has nothing to do with declaring a conflict of interest.

It probably makes no difference. My City has so many NIMBYs here that the last 3 Councils havent been able to achieve a thing, regardless of their alliegences.

Reports and feasibility studies is all they manage to produce.

4. Auspm

Auspm New Member

Conflict of Interest is no longer considered corruption in political circles at the top end.

It's for the plebs as an enforced ideal under 'code of conduct' standards, but the closer to the top you are, the less it seems to matter.

I'm not surprised at anything these people do anymore, or by what underhanded lengths they will go to achieve the result.

This is one reason why I simply don't vote.

5. Yippe-Ki-Ya

Yippe-Ki-Ya New Member

Only those who vote should pay any tax.

6. Auspm

Auspm New Member

Actually YKY, I'm of the opposite ideal :

Only those who pay any tax should have the right to vote.

I truly believe the nature of this country would change radically under such an ideal, where those who pay the public money get to actually decide how it's spent.

If we cannot have a free society without governmental intervention, then I personally believe this would be the next best alternative.

7. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

I believe that voting should be voluntary, so only those that actually give a rat's arse would bother. maybe then each vote would count.

8. DanDee

DanDee Active Member Silver Stacker

9. Eureka Moments

Thanks for replies and opinions.

10. ShadowPeo

ShadowPeo Member Silver Stacker

Under my benevolent dictatorship I would implement the following
    Voting is Voluntary,
    Only those who pay tax can vote, this means welfare bludgers cannot vote
    You are only able to receive welfare payments with the submission of a drug test that must be returned in the negative, as this would ultimately having people defraud the system by not having drugs prior to providing the sample, (which would be taken by qualified staff on the spot) random tests can be ordered

11. Eureka Moments

I dont like your highlighted words Auspm.

We all pay GST. Im assuming you mean only people who pay no nett tax should be excluded from voting.

What about people who are unable to work and pay tax through circumstances beyond their control, such as people with disability?

Only allowing a vote based on your group certificate is wrong.

12. FlashInThePan

FlashInThePan Member

Heres a link to a nice little form that will determine priour to an election if the candidate will serve the intrests of "we the people" or some other intrest.

Even if the candidate you speak off changed his hat affer the election, at least you know who he is really working for which ultimately is the most important issue here. ;)

http://truth-now.net/call1.htm

13. Mud Gecko

Mud Gecko Active Member Silver Stacker

Can we also make drug/alcohol tests mandatory for all public workers who recieve their pay from taxpayers? What's good for the goose is good for the gander....

14. Eureka Moments

There would be barely a cop or nurse left to work. If this were implemented they would resign.

Where do the readymade replacements come from?

I suppose they could be replaced by defense personnel currently o/s. Surely none of them would have alcohol or substance abuse issues.

15. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Yes I agree on random tests for Public Servants..Have you ever wondered how drugs get into the Jails around Australia when all visitors to the Prisoners are searched! All prisoners are searched before being returned to their cells after visitations. How do the drugs get in? How do the prisoners pay for the drugs when they earn less than $1 a day. You can figure it out quite easy. Maybe the prisoner's family/friends outside, pay the money into prison workers accounts and then the drugs are brought in and distributed accordingly.

Free needles to stop hiv and AIDS.. Stop the drugs coming in to the Prisons and that will be the end of the problem of needle sharing.

Now which Party is going to be hard on drugs? Not I said the left, nor me said the right.

Regards Errol 43

16. Eureka Moments

You say you support random tests for public servants. Then you state that this will stop drugs being smuggled into jails.

Dont you mean that public servants/prison officers should be randomly strip-searched? Otherwise you are talking about a completely seperate issue...how to stop drugs getting into jails, not drug testing of public servants.

BTW which drugs are to be tested for? Those currently illegal only? What about prescription medicines that affect mood, performance or judgement? Oxycontin and diazepam?

How about Doctors and Judges? Better drug test them too. Cant have doctors treating patients and Judges handing down sentences if they're out of their trees can we? Same goes for everybody.

It's either all or none if your going to go down this path. Public Servant or General Public makes no difference.

17. errol43

errol43 New Member Silver Stacker

Sorry.. Have a very sore back at the moment..Wasn't posting what I meant to say..

I meant for only the Prison Section Public Sector to be given drug tests and not all public servants..The Prison sector leaves a lot to be desired..Can someone explain how the drugs get into prisons?

I'm only concerned about drugs in prison because this problem must be solved or else the problem of ex prisoners committing drug related crimes with violence will continue.

As I said I cannot fathom how drugs get into jails without inside help!

Regards Errol 43

18. Dogmatix

Dogmatix Active Member

Good responses Eureka.

All this talk of discriminating against voters our public servants is nothing more than prejudice.

Sure, there are problems with the way the current Govt is handling issues relating to welfare and governance, but these solutions are pathetic. What kind of Govt do you have when only the rich get a say? That's what is being advocated, because that's what it would become. A stupid precedent to set. And spiteful discrimination against public servants is another.

We complain about too much Govt control and intervention, and then propose control and intervention in response.