Series II Lunar 1 oz BU Sells for $92 on Bay

Discussion in 'Lunar Forum' started by silverlover, Jul 24, 2011.

1. silverlover

silverlover Member

Before I post the eBay link, the price in some way is a bit misleading simply because it was offered to be shipped worldwide for free. Still though, for this coin to achieve this kind of price is pretty impressive since it just came out not long ago.

I am so thankful I ordered a roll from BullionBourse about a year ago for a cheap price and yes, like everyone else, I wish I bought more! Hehe

Congrats to those who preordered the dragon series II (I didn't), these coins will obviously turn out be great investments.

The coin I'm referring to are the second series Tigers

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=370527452917&index=3&nav=SEARCH&nid=92027188501

2. Mighty Atom

Mighty Atom New Member Silver Stacker

Wow!..maybe I should put a few in my pocket to take to Hawaii. I could trade them for some nice shirts.

3. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

Assuming the sale actually took place. Sometimes sellers put in fake bids (shock horror) push up prices then claim back their ebay fee. Although the sale is effectively cancelled, ebay results still show it as a "sale" despite the seller claiming back the fee and cancelling the "sale".

As for the dragon, 300,000 is a large mintage by anyone's standards. Add in the 2oz, 5oz, 10oz, 1kg and 1/2oz sizes and I'd say they will be around for quite a while. It will be interesting to see how the mint releases the 1oz into the market, will they dump 300,000 right at the start or say a third, a couple of months later another third etc. In any event, should be readily available for a time from apmex, gainesville etc in the US.

4. silverlover

silverlover Member

That is true about fake biddings going on in eBay, although in the case of this coin it doesn't really surprise me that it fetches this kind of amount. The one oz tigers (Series II) have been getting high bids in a consistent basis well into the $70s and a bit at 80s at times. This includes shipping.

On Apmex (even though I question about their true "inventory"), this coin gets sold out time after time with prices in the high 60s to 70s.
    Again, there is a chance that this coin could have gone through shill bids but it's track record has been beyond stellar to conclude that this coin is highly sought after.

300,000 is slot of coins for the dragon, and I do hope that it's easily available in some sites in the future, I just hope that they don't charge an arm and a leg for iit, on top of the possibility of higher prices heading towards the fall.

I was fortunate enough to grab some maple wolves (mint direct frm Apmex at 680 per 25 coins) but still fell asleep on this. I thought at a million mintage that it wouldn't be a hit like it is now, but the demand has really exceeded my expectations. If only I had a time machine.

5. Matthew 26:14

Load up on the grizzlys? But it does seem to be that the "first" coin of a series will demand a premium over others.

6. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

?? Compared to which other 1oz bullion coins?

7. silverlover

silverlover Member

I wouldn't load up on the grizzlies just for what you said, first of the series tends to command a bigger premium. Plus the fact that the wolf may seem more appealing than the grizzly.

I was lucky to get wolves when they first came out as it was like only an extra 50 cent difference compared to normal Maples.

Your strategy is the best and I follow it. Find coins that haven't matured yet, hardly discovered, get coins in that series with limited mintage at prices closest to spot as possible. Example when you pulled the coup d etat with the 08 and 07 kanga. Very nice :cool:

8. Matthew 26:14

RAM silver Kangaroos have a 20,000 mintage from memory.

9. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

Fair enough. I wouldn't call 300,000 large compared with other bullion releases such as maples/ase/panda though ... I would call the Kangas small!

10. dccpa

dccpa Active Member

I was fortunate that the Wolves came out the same day that I was placing a large order on Sept 3rd. So, I ended up with 500 Wolves and 500 Tigers. My only regret was buying 500 2011 kooks instead of 500 lunar rabbits. The one bad thing is that I was helping a friend buy some Wolves about 3 months ago and I put off the order for a few days. Apmex, raised the price (while I was placing the order), so I sold him 100 of mine at the old price. $41.xx. I would rather have the 100 Wolves than the cash.

11. Matthew 26:14

I can recall that the Timber wolves were being sold by apmex for less than the Maple when they were released and were at that lower price for sometime.