semi retirement to the Philippines

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by boneyard, Sep 13, 2014.

1. ShinyStuff

ShinyStuff New Member

I would retire to Japan. Ok, you can buy a house for a reasonable price if you head south, and for a small village. Excellent health services, polite people. No religious issues. Plus, once you are a resident you can access a lot of things like very cheap airfares and even very cheap loans.

Shiny.

2. noah

noah Member

Having dual citizenship would make life so much easier on so many levels.

Do your citizenship benefits extend to the whole boneyard clan?

A few of my old surf mates chose to pursue their idyllic early retirement chasing waves on some of the more obscure islands in Indo.

Seemed to have initially, a few logistical hurdles to get over and then an ongoing requirement to reboot the bureaucratic red tape.

The danger of falling coconuts that renovator posted was spot on, I saw a dog get nailed at a beach in Sumba a while back, it wasn't pretty.

Good on you if make the move, you'll probably be doing what most of us only dream of doing...retirement in a tropical archipelago :p

3. CFP

CFP New Member

Just out of curiousity, how do you live in these Asian countries without having citizenship or marrying a local? I have family in pommy land, we are thinking of relocating there in a few years for our careers and to get a EU passport as we both love Europe. As for central/south america, most of the people are awesome and friendly. I loved Costa Rica, would be a great place to retire, Nicaragua is a place that you could get into cheap and retire there, I know a pommy who owns a back packer resort there and he loves it. He married a local.

4. Caput Lupinum

Caput Lupinum Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I know with the Philippines you can stay on a tourist visa and get I think monthly extensions but it can get expensive doing this. If you're over 50 and can maintain an income you can get a retirement visa.

For Thailand there's been a recent crackdown on dodgy visa practices but you can still get an education visa if you're under 50. Enrol to learn Thai with a school over there for an hour or two a day and spend the rest of the day however you like but if you want to renew the visa after 12 months you have show that you've actually learnt something to the immigration officers otherwise they won't renew your visa. There's also the new elite cards which for about $16000 AUD or $66000 AUD plus annual fee they'll give you multiple entry into Thailand for 5 to 20 years. Keep in mind that visa requirements change regularly in these countries so what may look like a good option today may not be in a few months time.

I'm currently looking at the 1 year education visa for Thailand and if I can do what I want to do over there during that first year then I'll swap to a 5 year elite card

5. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

In the phils you can stay for up to 3 years on a tourist visa now .It costs about $500 a year But you have to renew your visa every 8 weeks. There is a 6 month visa but its only available in some of the larger offices

6. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

you can get a retirement visa if your under 50 you need to put more money in a bank account than the amount you need for the over 50 retirement visa .