Selling silver questions

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Glen, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Glen

Glen New Member

Good morning,

So I am really new to refining silver in general and had some question. If any of my questions have been previously answered my apologies. I read through a lot of the forums but really didn't see something related to my type of questions. So figured I would just ask.

To give you some insight I will start from the beginning.

To start out I have some silver graphite generator brushes which are 67% metal content. I sent some off to a really great guy in CA that was paying fairly well per pound. Very quick great communication awesome service. But I am a tinker at heart and love to learn every chance I get. Plus it was kind of a hassle packing these things up sending them out for refining. I mean one boxs was even so dmaged during shipping that some of product was lost about 20 lbs worth. So nothing against the refiner at all I just figured hey maybe this is something i could do and save my self the tassel. So i started reading up on refining to see if it was something I could refine my self.

So I found the smelting process to be really simple and picked up some gear and started refining. After alittle learning cruve my first batch yeilded alittle over 2lbs worth of silver. The assay the refiner did came up with was 93.4% +- .70 au and 6.92% +- .18 cu.

So now am holding this 2lb muffin tin shaped piece of silver. What can I do with it? Can I sell it to some one? I have looked online for some one that buys silver but not knowing who is better or safer than others I don't wanna get ripped. What would this 2lb chunk be categoried as? Silver scrap?

I mean I know it is not pure silver but I don't have the space or equipment to do a silver cell to get it too .9999 pure. So just kinda lost on what to do next.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I posted in the right spot.

2. Ipv6Ready

Ipv6Ready Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Great question, I too have few kilos of silver, and ounces of agw in gold in various states of refinement. I been looking at it thinking that's about $5 of (Junk) precious metals I have lol.

Would be interesting to read some answers. Though I would guess not many are willing to buy from novices unless there is trust in purity and getting metals assayed is too expensive.

I've been considering taking a haircut on my loses and selling to refiner.