Selling is KEY

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by copperhead, Apr 12, 2019.

1. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

As stacker's. we buy and hold an investment YET another aspect that can be UN-investment like
    separates the BUY from investing is our desire to have it . Choosing what appeals to ones self
    can lead one down a path of surprise . Ones location and the buyers that are needed for a fast sale is a consideration
    As stackers we must consider worst case scenarios . Silver / Gold other PM's may have a customer some place but should the final hour occur & funds are needed . can you sell as INTENDED ? .
    Generic blobs spot under buy back can change BIG .odd ball holdings like a 2 ounce coin the buyer might not want or a one gram gold bars may not be trusted . Lots to consider in the last hour . Hunting out a buyer to sell your 2.5 gram platinum bar / having your 2.5 gram gold bars looked at with suspicion and passed on
    or a buyer may not want your 40% silver currency .
    Can cause a re think
    Even Pandas can be viewed with suspicion from buyers & passed on

I for one have experienced the trials and tribulations of truth , that all the glitters is not gold to others.
    I have determined if I am to have holdings .The safest holdings ( but not limited ) American or Canadian
    and other Silver / Gold coinage is safest
    I have found silver bars from 5 oz up are well received and 1 oz generic
    Gold coins at 1/10 are very well received but 1 ounce requires a buyer with capital that surpasses others.
    I recommend to stackers to buy what in the tenth hours can be sold fast & with surety

Gullintanni, Ad1, sgbuyer and 2 others like this.
  2. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I think your advice on 1/10 is spot on! (No pun intended!)

In retrospect I think it a very liquid size and I'd choose it now over 1/4 which is my current enthusiasm. Recent offers of Sovs and $200 coins here on silverstackers were very slow to move, which I was very surprised to see. Sovs especially, as I thought they sold instantly, but now we're looking at near $500 a piece, it means it's more than leftovers from the week's savings target.

Mind you, 1oz and Sovs would be my choice if you're buying for the grandkids.

As for silver, 1oz rounds and 50c are the choice for me.

Thanks copperhead. Good topic.

Gullintanni likes this.
  3. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

I'd like to mention yesterday , see I needed about $2000
    I had started a new job that I had to wait the extra week to get paid , as per many companies do payroll as such
    Any way I was strapped I have a stock portfolio That has been holding tight at 35% up & just did not want to liquidate it even if it's paper . I figured sell off some PM's and replace as my new job is about 40 % more pay . WELL was I in for a rude awakening . I walked in all proud of my items . The market is low and the buyers here are $2 under
    two years ago it was .75 to $1 under . I got him to go $1.65 but he did not want any of my 2.5 bars gold even the
    SMI - Sunshine Minting . I sold what I had to .
    Thats what inspired me to start the post .I see the market can get Fickel .
    I'm glad I had the Silver to get me out of this pinch . Buying is one thing Selling is a very important learning experance
    it teaches you the truth of what to own . I want the sure thing .
    So if your out there Buying and Buying don't get caught holding a hard to sell PM
    After all it's goes aganst all we stand for .

Gullintanni likes this.
  4. SilverDJ

SilverDJ Well-Known Member

Selling is the huge advantage of PM accounts like Perth Mint or others that don't involve physical exchange of metals on your part.
    You can sell instantly at any time without any hassles.

copperhead likes this.
  5. Silver260

Silver260 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Yea, I hear you on this .I consistently struggle with the consistency / makeup of my stack. With just that thought in mind ( selling ) .

Thank you for your input on this all, I have found this very insightful.

6. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

Nothing was as clear as to me when I offered this
    [​IMG]
    The buyer STRONGLY said I'm just not comfortable buying bars I bought fakes before My suspicions are strong
    he said they are probably real but I don't want them
    So I sat there to myself Hmmmmm wow ! this is earth shaking as a stacker
    Then I showed him this
    [​IMG]
    Smooth as silk was the sell ......... Lesson Learned
    --------------
    I also had this with ZERO interest to buy
    My investment was $180 for the
    Two 2.5 gram Platinum bars I had
    [​IMG]
    The lesson was simple $180 in Platinum $1000 in 2.5 gram gold bars
    and can't sell here at least !!
    WTF why did I just not buy more 1/10 ? You know why ? I'll tell you why !
    See when I was purchasing some silver I'd push a little harder and buy some more affordable Gold
    with order Just another $25 or so would of bought the readily excepted
    So when you read descriptions and read THIS from JMB or Provident
    Sovereign bullion
    " Silver Eagles provide a simple, stable method of investing in silver "
    When you consider how other silver is sold at JMB and the like's
    they keep it light with the wording to not harm other sales
    " stable method of investing in silver. " the word STABLE " It has meaning

66rounds likes this.
  7. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

I'll look into it Thanks
    https://www.perthmint.com/storage/depository-online.html

8. SilverDJ

There are many like this such as https://www.bullioncapital.com/metaldesk-platform/
    where you can buy pool metal (lowest/no fees), or allocated bars or coins.
    Some of the dealers have them too:
    https://www.abcbullion.com.au/storage-and-delivery/storage
    https://www.goldstackers.com.au/storage/

These are all Aussie ones, the US would have dozens of similar solutions.

I don't really understand the "If you don't hold it you don't own it" crowd. Many them will keep their stuff stored in a safe deposit box at some private facility anyway, thus not "holding it" themselves, so might as well just keep it at these other places and avoid delivery and handling fees, and in the case of pool metal often zero storage fees.
    And if you sense a change in the market or economy or government etc then you can have your metal delivered in a day or two, no big deal.
    The odds of the government shutting down all access to metals instantly without any notice or signs at all is practically zero.

Sure, keep a few things at home to fondle, but keep the bulk at a dealer where you can sell instantly is needed with the prevailing spot price.

bron.suchecki likes this.
  9. copperhead

copperhead Active Member

We are the ones who decide what is to much to store at home ,
    But admittedly once your stack takes on some true physical weight you know you are starting to own some thing .
    Soooo you put it in the bank safe box & the little voice in your head says hmm if banks close I can't get in & the box cost $75 per year
    OK well get a safe for the home .... hmm little voice in your head says if my home has a
    home invasion at Gun / Knife point will I open the safe ?
    Do I tell other family members location of safe ?
    Can I trust other family members to not blab to others ?
    Will home invader terrorize my 14 year old who is home alone ?
    If I die does the location die with me ?
    Lots to think about

10. SilverDJ

Yup, and another reason to have the bulk of your stuff at a big dealer, or maybe split between multiple ones if you want to spread any risk. Some places allow you to set up a beneficiary contact for the account in case something happens to you. And you can tell anyone about your account with little fear of it being hacked.
    Too many issues with keeping your stuff at home, with almost no practical upside.

copperhead likes this.
  11. bretto

bretto Active Member

5 gram certicards.

12. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Never a fan of certicards. I expect to your average punter it's something shiny inside an envelope.

Gullintanni likes this.
  13. Ad1

Ad1 Active Member

Agreed. I have noticed quite a slowdown recently here on the sales thread, even though spot is currently low (for silver). The items that seem to get a good price are very low mintage XAG/YPS coins and bars. Coins 2-3$ over spot get snapped up fairly quickly too. All other items seem to struggle and semi-numi and proofs do not move as fast or at all. Buying as close to spot is the best strategy I feel as majority of buyers are in the near spot segment. I think a diversified stack is important too as the buyer sentiment and interest changes over time.

I think everyone should do a test run of trying to sell their items at LCS, eBay, Forums before heavily investing into a type. Having a 3-6 months of expenses covering emergency fund in cash is imperative regardless of how we feel about fiat.

Silver260 and SlyGuy like this.
  14. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

the poor old man can't afford anything when alive so we sell his heavy safe for $20

66rounds likes this.