SE QLD SMSF Meeting

Discussion in 'Meetings & Events' started by hiho, Feb 19, 2012.

1. XB

XB Active Member Silver Stacker

OK if that's what you are doing RD fine - run with it. Not sure what suddenly became so urgent that you had to assume control and take over.

I had planned a night meal meeting on a weeknight and a location but since you're back and apparently taking over control, do what you will.

Hiho and I had finalised a date but I had one last thing to check with him, which I was going to do this morning after getting home from work, before getting him to send out the invites by email, but since this is apparently your gig you do what you want. And fwiw why the hell would we not want some privacy to talk about our super - I sure as hell aint gonna talk about what I might have in PMs in the main bar of some hotel just in case the wrong person is listening.

I had envisaged a professional, intellectual exchange of information over a nice meal on a week night for a few hours on a semi regular basis - how I did this, what you did there, you could do this.... not some dog and pony show sponsored by industry funds and people trying effectively to sell me on their product or system. Sure we might have got the occasional guest speaker if there was some need, or people wanted something specific or a specific company, or an independent accountant or lawyer to talk about certain things, but not having them sponsor the meeting costs (ie your dinner).

Since what you are obviously wanting to do is different from what I had though we could be doing, I'm out.

BTW if you think this is just a dummy spit - being honest part of it is - I am disappointed that you have the view that noone else is capable of organising anything. Mostly though I'm just tired of all the bullshit that happens in here - when you try and do something worthwhile you just get shat on, so wtf is the point.

2. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No offense meant I am sure! If you and Hiho have something in the pipeline then that is great.

RD is just stuck in an airport miles from anywhere with too much time on his hands and not enought occupy himself.

I have been sitting on the paperwork for about a year now at least, an extra few weeks isn't going to hurt.

I agree with you that the first meeting should just be for everyone to work out where they are at in the procedure. I am pretty much set on esuperfund but if anyone else has a better idea then I am willing to listen. Also wouldn't mind diversifying but all I know is silver, if any members are into the sharemarket it wouldn't be bad to hear what they have to say.

However later on I wouldn't mind getting someone down from esuperfund or whatever is available because all of our situations are going to be different and while it is good to hear from others in a similar position, it would also be good to hear from someone in the business. Sure they are going to try and push their product on you but given the contrarian nature of most stackers I don't think this is going to be a big concern.

3. hiho

hiho Active Member Silver Stacker

well this went a bit off track.

I will still be organising a SMSF get together and I hope XB can make it, but I am going OS next week so it wont be done in a hurry.

In the meantime if anyone wants to organise a meeting then please go for it.

4. XB

@Hiho, still more than happy to meet up with you and like-minded individuals and exchange strategies, tips and knowledge over a pleasant meal on a semi-regular basis eg every few months maybe moving to once a month if the demand was there. Nothing flash, nothing too formal, occasional guests to address specific questions or that folks wanted info from (eg esuperfund).

If however it goes ahead as suggested by RD then I will not be attending and will catch up with the others who have indicated to me a preference for what you and I spoke about and what was posted earlier in the thread.

Otherwise I'll plough ahead and continue organising a dinner meeting for a week day after your return.

@Jisliard No need to make excuses for him Jis - it was pretty clear I think from the posts in here that we were planning a meetup over dinner during the week - indeed as late as 1/3 hiho posted that we'd send out details next week.

We were also pretty clear I think about what the first meeting would be about and that that meeting would set the tone for what we did in the future.

There was a delay whilst hiho and I tried to catch up to sort out some issues, but this wasn't urgent and therefore we didn't rush around to lock anything in.

So not sure that there could have been any confusion.

Obviously though RD believes it is imperative that he take charge so we can meet asap and he obviously has different views about how things should run, and where and when we meet ie on a weekend during the day. That's fine. He could have said so either here or by PM but instead determined a date and rough time and said he would sort a venue, the only implication being therefore that I am (or hiho and I were) obviously incapable of organising anything.

So again, if that's the sort of meeting he wants that's fine, but not what I am looking for. It might suit some, but not me.

All of this, I think, was addressed in the thread. So RD's posts can only serve to reinforce the presumption that what he wants is different and what we were doing was not what he wanted, and therefore irrelevant and should be replaced with his model. C'est la vie. Those who want to meet with RD can carry on, no worries and good luck to them - me, I will continue to meet with the folks who are after the substance, not just the flash and sizzle.

Edited to add that I bear NO ill-will towards RD - he does a bang-up job with the Brissy meets - I just do not get the feeling that we're reading the same book on this.

5. Bigone

Bigone New Member

Please count me into this meeting too Thanks

6. tozak

tozak Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hiho, I would be keen too, please PM me when you know when and where once you get back. Cheers

7. XB

OK so after much reflection and some very nice messages (thanks guys) I came to the conclusion that I was being a bit of a spoiled child - I understand now RD wasn't hijacking anything and he was simply trying to assist (and probably a bit bored sitting in airports).

So first off, PUBLIC APOLOGY to RD for any hurt or annoyance or anything else I have caused.

Back on track now though. Venue has been confirmed and Meeting set for Monday 19 March, 6.30 pm for 7pm start. We'll have a drink first while everyone rolls in then we have a private room booked so we wont be disturbed and there's a great dinner menu to choose from. Booking fee for the room has been waived on the basis that we'll be having a meal, and wait staff around for drinks etc.

Hiho will have details soon and he'll shoot out some emails to those who have said they'd like to be involved. That will include my email details so I can keep this ticking along with RSVPs and so forth whilst he is away.

Since your SMSF often includes your partner, or has decisions made affecting them etc, so partners are more than welcome, but I'll need to know numbers asap.

So if you haven't yet told hiho that you're interested, please let him know urgently.

Once you get the email, please confirm back to me asap, including whether it's just you or you and your partner, so I can confirm numbers to the venue.

Any issues you can pm or email me.

8. hiho

email sent if you didnt get it PM me with your email address

9. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

I'll be there... Thanks Rob, no worries whatsoever - its been a frustrating time of late hey!

10. Macros_The_Black

Macros_The_Black Member Silver Stacker

Got the email hiho, glad all the testosterone is back where it counts ... in the respective sizes of our stacks ... tnx XB your "spat retraction" was well said, I only wish I could be that humble.

Hopefully I'll be there, love catching up with you guys in any case ;)

11. Macros_The_Black

Macros_The_Black Member Silver Stacker

Come on man .... what is this crappy parked domain business!

You can't dangle a fancy url in your sig like that unless it's a real working site - pull yer finger out and "show us yer bull-yun" mate!

Thought I was getting secret access to a new mint .... damn.

12. XB

Yea I saw that too and was somewhat let down. :rolleyes:

It did however finally prompt me to get off my arse and transfer my domain from Melb IT to Crazy Domains - $12pa vs the $70 I was paying !

13. johnw

johnw Member Silver Stacker

I'm interested, please pm me when a date is confirmed.

14. XB

Date is confirmed johnw - see here

pm or email me your email address and details

15. metalpig

metalpig Member

Hi guys, please send me details of this meeting when it is scheduled.

Thank you!

16. XB

Date is confirmed metalpig - see here

email me your email address and details

17. metalpig

metalpig Member

Hi XB, I see that it is on a Monday night. I cannot make it then, but thanks for letting me know. I would like to make it to one of these meetings.

Much appreciated.

18. XB

Let me have your details anyway and I can include you on the list etc for the next meeting

19. hiho

O^o

20. XB

:p or hiho will lol

I'll send to him after the first meeting the updated email list anyway