scrapping electricals for pm's

Discussion in 'General Precious Metals Discussion' started by miniroo, Jul 11, 2012.

1. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Is the stuff clean , they pay less if it has stuff hanging of it
    Clean cast alley gets a better price well worth cleaning the stuff up

2. long88

long88 Member

Yep. Will clean it up. Just the stock standard hdd chassis. There won't be anything. Have looked at those video from ozcooper on how to take out the magnet spindle etc.

Any one have a go at getting refining from cpu memory ?

Or does anyone need an old computer that still work typical windows xp with p4 or higher ?

3. Midnight Man

Midnight Man Member Silver Stacker

I may have misunderstood, if so, please forgive me... but the cases around computers are generally made of steel and plastic, not aluminium, the same for hard disk chassis, I believe (referring to the 3.5" spinning device inside a computer, in case the terminology isn't familiar).

4. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

HDD chassis are definitely cast aluminium - I've scrapped heaps of them before.

5. long88

long88 Member

what sort of price do you think it is currently...

obviously hdd chassics, the ring that will go the weigh

6. Midnight Man

Midnight Man Member Silver Stacker

Proving you learn something every day - thank you, I honestly thought they'd be plain steel!

Might have to start recycling them myself then :)

7. long88

long88 Member

they are the easieast to get , and 2 of them will make about 1 kg already.

good luck !!!

8. silverzman

silverzman Active Member Silver Stacker

Hmm this has got me thinking. I have a few servers I was going to chuck out and about 40 hds. Maybe I should try to scrap them. Gave away 300kg worth of old servers to a very young scrapper down the road before.

What device is worth my time scrapping? Like best ROI

9. long88

long88 Member

hdd ..

cpu and memory have gold...

look at oz copper website.. and read !!!!

it will earn you a lot of money with your new knowledge

10. miniroo

miniroo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hey, it's been a while.

I'm still scrapping e-waste, went to school and did a micro biz' course for 7 weeks full time.
    first time i've walked into a class room since I was 14, I actually enjoyed it, never wagged a day.

They sent me on my way, with a business plan in hand, brimming full of confidence.
    I started my biz' expecting to save the planet of it's e-wasteness, but quickly realised as a one man band,
    the best I can do is try and just save a 25 km radius of my place, there's so much of it, one pair of hands can only do so much.

So that's what i'm doing, recycling e-waste around melbourne, commercial and residential.
    e-waste recycling is evolving everyday here in Australia, the past 12 months has seen quite a few new players
    on a higher level, some mid-range biz's and little guy's like me, a one or two person set-up.
    I set up a forum to help spread the word too, it's mostly just me talking to myself but eventually I think it could be a resourceful place for
    new scrappers that might want to learn about making money from e-waste aswell.

I think one reason we don't have as many scrappers in Australia as say America, is we're a bit spoilt, an unemployed adult get's $250 a week minimum,
    and free medical, scrapping can be heavy work with quite a low dollar for time ratio, unless your scrapping out servers and old pc's all day,
    scrapping out toasters and printers net you like $2 an hour. most would rather watch the cricket, but in the states millions are scrapping for cash everyday.
    I truly believe if a young person learns to scrap e-waste, no matter what happens, like SHTF or the zombie apocalypse, they will always know how to make a buck.

I'm wanting to reduce the volume of bright copper wire I stack and melt it into 1 kg bars.
    The idea is to turn some copper into kind of promotional items or gifts.

When I do a big pick-up from say an office, a lot of the time the person that arranged it went out of there way to make it happen,
    on the way out I feel I should be handing them something, they already have my flyer, I feel guilty taking all their lovely stuff.
    even though it's just e-waste to them, to me it's gold, platinum, palladium, silver, copper etc, it's like x-mas everyday.

so I want to hand them a copper bar, with my company logo stamped on it and some kind of slogan like,
    "100% recycled copper from your e-waste" or something, they could then use them as paper weight's.

I get a few projection tv's to recycle which have a Fresnel Lens screen.
    up until now I been sending the screens to plastic recycling not knowing what they were.
    but now that I do I wanted to know if you think I could melt copper with them?

This video shows a range of screens from tv's and how they work, the last one he show's is a spot lens,
    has awesome heat power, maybe if I setup 2 or 3 and beamed them into a cast iron pot with copper wire?

you can jump to the spot lens at 3:55 if you like.
    He does mention melting pennies, so I'm guessing it should work ok with thin wire?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xExXjXm0YV0[/youtube]

11. silvertorrent

silvertorrent New Member

Good to see your still hard at it miniroo.

Just 2 quick questions;
    What do you do with the CRT tubes from TVs/CRT monitors?
    Found a buyer for PCBs?

fwiw: I'm way out in the sticks so unlikely to be any form of 'competition' for your business.

12. VRS

VRS Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Y'see, in Benchill near Manchester 'scrapping electricals for PM' means taking out a huge tonnage of copper primary supply coil from telegraph poles owned by a publicly-listed energy supplier between Warrington and Wigan in a single night (where most have only ever heard of 'cangles made frum tallow' anyway, let alone elastictrickery) - and then rolling the whole hooky proceeds into Premium Moroccan.

Eeeeee, it's a different World is that thar Straylyer...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWXj9fcjS3A[/youtube]

13. miniroo

Tes-Amm is an e-waste refiner that buy pcb's in Australia, there's not much competition yet but aventually I think we'll
    get better prices here for the better stuff.
    They pay about $5 kg for mother boards, $6 kg for telecom boards, but I hear only $2 kg for finger cards so maybe hold them for a while, $10 kg for ram.

CRT's go to various transfer stations, as part of the national TV stewardship thing the gov't have set up, where manufacturers are more responsible for the e-waste they pump out,
    about 40 big companies chip in to pay for CRT's to get recycled.

so yeah, your local transfer station, private or council will have tech-collect e-waste bins picking them all up.
    I took in about 45 in two trips last week, But crt's are finishing up now, with Australia now completely digital,
    give it 6 months and crt's will be gone forever.

14. silvertorrent

silvertorrent New Member

Are the screens collected with the copper etc intact or do you take it out yourself?
    I ask this as I've had mixed information from various departments within the Government (no surprise there but thats another topic :p ) that wasn't very encouraging on the matter.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my posts and have a happy holidays. :cool:

15. miniroo

The mixed responses your getting is because no-one really knows what's happening.
    all the tv's are meant to be recycled but really the're not, the're being stock piled and the're on the market
    to anyone that wants to buy them, like thousands of tonnes.

It's a rort, the recycling company set up to do crt's get paid to collect them.
    and now there trying to off load them to get a second payment without actually doing anything.
    anyway, I'm not worrying about that anymore, not my problem.

The crt's I send in are completely scrapped out, just the tube & rear plastic cover left.
    they look just like any tv scrapped out or not.

I've been pulled up many times at the transfer station regarding this, they wanted to start charging me
    as I was going in too often, every 2nd day with a big load.
    eventually they said because the're totally scrapped out the're just rubbish, which is true.

So I stopped picking up crt tv's off the street but because I pick up from residential homes, I can't avoid getting crt's
    and I need somewhere to offload them, so I told them I wouldn't scrap them out if I could still take in residential pick-ups.
    that got me going again but I only took in a few tv's not scrapped out, now i'm back to scrapping them out completely and i've been ok.

With less and less now this crt issue will be gone forever as lcd tv's don't have that problem, you can sell most of an lcd as scrap metal.

If you come across a lot of tv's on the street your best to scrap them out on the spot, put the cover back on and leave it for the council to pick it up.
    do enough of 'em and you can scrap a tv out in 3 minutes like that.