Saving Bonds

Discussion in 'Other Investments' started by SilverSnatcher, Sep 27, 2012.

1. SilverSnatcher

SilverSnatcher New Member

Hi, i have got 18 saving bonds i get one every year for my birthday from my grandparents.. i was wondering if it would be best to wait till they are their full value or if it would be best to take it all out now and just put it towards silver. My parents want me to wait till the bonds are worth their face value.. but i'm thinking silver would be the best thing to do??

2. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

What country are you in and who issued the bonds?

3. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Firstly, this:

If they are "EE" US savings bonds, wait until their maturity. My wife and I cashed some that weren't mature and you don't get the face value - if they have matured, you get face value plus interest.

Basically EE bonds were sold at half face value - they double in value (ignoring inflation) on maturity. So a $50 bond only cost $25, but is worth $50 on maturity, at which point they earn interest.

Use http://www.treasurydirect.gov/BC/SBCPrice to find out their current worth.

One think you will learn is that if you don't have "on demand" access to cash, you can't spent it frivolously - like blowing it all on an unlocked iPhone 5 etc. Unless you have an immediate need for silver, or are dead convinced that the US dollar is about to hyperinflate, hang onto them until they are mature - or cash them as they mature and buy silver incrementally.

The EE bonds have been discontinued now I think for new sales.

4. SilverSnatcher

SilverSnatcher New Member

ok thanks, ill wait for them to mature.