Sapphire

Discussion in 'Jewellery & Gems' started by lucky luke, Sep 28, 2012.

1. lucky luke

lucky luke Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

2. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

hmm... tell them there dreaming

3. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

$200/carat max? Or is that even too much?

4. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

I can get rough DIRT CHEAP... unless im missing something this is $20-$30 i would of thought.. but hey Retail of gems is NUTS

5. lucky luke

While that stone is clearly VERY expensive, I don't think a single rough piece of that size is common. To compare the sort of sapphire rough purchased at $20-$30 to the stone listed is a bit of a stretch.

Interestingly, he has another listing of a large single stone.........
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Australi...M%2BLA&otn=12&ps=63&clkid=2351948266428285501

6. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi, as its a rough its very hard to ascertain quality.. i can tell you i have purchased a similar size sapphire rough for $20-$30... but in terms of quality this may well be completely superior.. So yes you are correct it proberbly is a stretch.. the larger the more rare, i still think the asking price is more of a stretch.. paying that sort of price based on a sketchy image is not wise.

1for1

7. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

If one could cut a 20-30- ct . flawless stone with consistent nice color with or without heat treating out of this stone I dont think 45k is too far out of line at all , it completely depends on quality , someone would have to see it in person an expert on this type. Crazy to list on ebay though...

8. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Same thing with that Argyle rough at the Melbounre Musuem that was recently in the paper... very very expensive (pciesless) but seemingly only a quasi-interesting speciment.. comes down to quality.

I guess your right silver star that if could fashion a flawless top quality spaphire out of this maybe.. but how would you know that until it happened.

20 ct sapphire rough is not hard to find but one of this site is getting to be well rare.. maybe very rare.. but as we all know people can put crazy BIN prices on ebay - i think this would be a free listing so nothing lost.

1for1

9. lucky luke

While the stone is phenomenally priced (IMO), it does appear to have potential to cut a large gem. From the few photo's provided, the stone definitely looks like facet grade material and not spec material (of which there is plenty around comparitively). Colour is not the best blue but that colour green is still much sought after. And the shape lends to excellent yield (rough to cut end size). Transparency is also good ie it doesn't look too dark which is oft a problem for Australian Sapphire.

It'd be interesting to see what a bit of see through oil would show up.

All the more reason that it's an interesting listing despite the apparently steep price.

10. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Who is the target market? A jeweller? A private investor? Its a bunch of money.. very speculative id say.. venture capitilist? HAHA

I hope there dudes out there with this type of cash to drop on a random bit of rough.. but i say 99% not... and if so not an ebay shopper and 10K dropper!

1for1