Russian government resigning?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Jim4silver, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

2. paruwka

paruwka Member

Putin is prohibited by the Russian constitution from another consecutive term as president. In the past he side-stepped the two consecutive term limit by becoming Prime Minister, and Medvedev the then PM became President. Medvedev is Putin’s bum-boy. This time it seems Medvedev (the current PM) wouldn’t play ball.

Putin’s solution is to discharge the government and put constitutional changes to vote (a cynic would ponder how fair and honest voting is in Russia). The constitutional changes are supposed to take away some of the president’s power and turn it over to the Russian Parliament (Duma). Some of the proposed changes are intended to ‘tighten the criteria for candidates who want to run for president’.

Also, Putin has created a new position ‘Deputy Head Russia Security Council’ and wants Medvedev to have this position. Generally speaking, in government a ‘Deputy Head’ position is a grand sounding title without much real power, especially when the ‘Head’ position is the president. I guess this is Putin’s way of keeping Medvedev sweet and on-side (throw a dog a bone).

Putin is doing this to ensure he remains the single power in Russia.

Putin is a wiley, sly and utterly ruthless operator, otherwise he wouldn’t have achieved his position given the events in Russia since 1991.

3. heartastack

heartastack Active Member

For such a ‘strong-willed’ population they sure let themselves get dicked around by these guys, even more overtly than we do.

4. paruwka

paruwka Member

An old Russian proverb (at least according to my wife who is Polish) says something like - in Russia babies are swaddled and Russians stay like this their whole life.

Swaddling is the wrapping up infants in blankets or similar cloth to restrict their movements.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  5. BobTB

BobTB Member

Unlike Yeltsin and Gorby, Putin is a low-life, despicable son-of-a-b**ch who has ever been president. He is a sly snake that does not play by the rules and is proving difficult to knock off. He has ruined everything ............

.....for "The powers that be"..........to Russia however, he is a saviour!

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    66rounds likes this.
  6. paruwka

paruwka Member

I’m not sure what the average Russian thinks of Putin. In 2018 Putin had to alter his plan to increase the retirement age in Russia due to public protest. Putin wanted to increase the pension age from 55 for women and 60 for men by five years for both. Doesn’t sound too bad until you learn in some regions the male life expectancy is lower than the new pension age! Well, I guess that does remove a financial burden from the government.

it seems when Putin is feeling unloved he bangs the drum of nationalism (and he is far from lonely at doing this). Let’s liberate our ethnic Russian brothers and sisters from the despicable west leaning Ukraine (at the same time securing Odessa, a port city giving access to the Mediterranean via the Black Sea). Let’s help our fraternal Arab brothers in the fight against terrorism (support President Bashar in Syria using the newly acquired port of Odessa instead of sailing via the north of Europe and the length of the Med.). Feeling down and unappreciated? Let’s host the 2014 Winter Olympics!

Whatever feelings anyone has about Putin, you can not deny he is good at what he does.

sterling-nz, madaw1, 66rounds and 2 others like this.
  7. BobTB

BobTB Member

All those who agree that Putin would have done a better job dealing with our bush fires give this a like :D.....or not:oops:

spannermonkey, madaw1 and 66rounds like this.
  8. Jim4silver

Jim4silver Well-Known Member

I think Putin and other similar leaders are more interested in preserving their own "high lives" of wealth and power than anything else. I would imagine the wealth that Putin owns makes Trump look like a pauper. Xi probably has more than Putin. I am always amazed how rulers like Putin, Kim, Castro, etc managed to maintain power over the years. They have to be very talented on many levels to be able to do that, even if they happen to be ruthless and/or evil, etc.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    madaw1 likes this.
  9. madaw1

madaw1 Well-Known Member

Not many people know,that he speaks English very well ,but he doesn't use it in front of English speaking people/diplomats/-very smart guy to some respect...

66rounds likes this.
  10. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Putin is one of the smartest world leaders of the current crop. He's no Saint but if I had to choose him or trump or any liberal/labour stooge for Aus pm id vote Putin in a heart beat.

11. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

12. alor

13. silverhair

silverhair Member

I have to give Putin credit where it is due because it takes real skill, brains and an iron will to manage a mafia state the way he does.

Ruthless does not begin to describe just what kind of hard man he is. He is next level and when it comes to wealth, I strongly suspect he makes Bill Gates look like middle class.

The real .1% have wealth beyond imagination and Putin falls into this category.

Number 47 and 66rounds like this.
  14. alor

66rounds likes this.
  15. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'd have to agree. Leaving aside the "morality" of those who operate at that level of state and political control,
    I admire Putin for what he has achieved with Russia, and his political skills I think are unmatched in modern politics.

66rounds likes this.
  16. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have some insight into what really goes on in Russia :D
    Putin did not take power 20 years ago
    He was given the position by the powers that be in Russia
    At about the same time 9 individuals had a round table meeting & all off Russia's resources were divided up.
    Main question about uncle Vlad is ?
    Who else would you have put into power ? :eek:

Russia has never been a democracy .

Show me a world leader that doesn't have blood on their hands .

Russia is doing nothing different then any other world power.

JulieW and 66rounds like this.
  17. 66rounds

66rounds Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

It does look like he is attempting to clean up the backyard though.