Russian Diamond Bonanza Trillions Of Carats

Discussion in 'Jewellery & Gems' started by Holdfast, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Russia has just declassified news that will shake world gem markets to their core:

The discovery of a vast new diamond field containing "trillions of carats," enough to supply global markets for another 3,000 years.

The Soviets discovered the bonanza back in the 1970s beneath a 35-million-year-old, 62-mile diameter asteroid crater in eastern Siberia known as Popigai Astroblem.

The veil of secrecy was finally lifted over the weekend, and Moscow permitted scientists from the nearby Novosibirsk Institute of Geology and Mineralogy to talk about it with Russian journalists.

According to the official news agency, ITAR-Tass, the diamonds at Popigai are "twice as hard" as the usual gemstones, making them ideal for industrial and scientific uses.

"The resources of super-hard diamonds contained in rocks of the Popigai crypto-explosion structure, are by a factor of ten bigger than the world's all known reserves," Mr. Pokhilenko said. "We are speaking about trillions of carats. By comparison, present-day known reserves in Yakutia are estimated at one billion carats."

The type of stones at Popigai are known as "impact diamonds," which theoretically result when something like a meteor plows into a graphite deposit at high velocity. The Russians say most such diamonds found in the past have been "space diamonds" of extraterrestrial origin found in meteor craters.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Glob...als-shiny-state-secret-It-s-awash-in-diamonds.

[​IMG]
    Source:

These diamonds, weighing over 50 carats each, were found in Russia's Yakutia mine, which has been rich resource for the country, but nothing compared to the new one

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-world-markets-3-000-years.html#ixzz26mngLUR8

[​IMG]

The crater, in eastern Siberia, has been known about since the 1970s, but the Kremlin kept it a secret to exploit its already rich reserves of the precious stone

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-world-markets-3-000-years.html#ixzz26mo130LR

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ld-markets-3-000-years.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

2. tozak

tozak Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Now they have the funding to crush the Capitalist Pigs of the West, hahahahaha

Jokes aside though, amazing they could keep this a secret for 40+ years if it's really all legit

3. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

^^^ NOT an isolated story ^^^

That is exactly why I don't buy into the diamond market. Globally there's shitloads of diamond rich seams around, thanks to De Beers the world diamond market has been trickling out supplies of diamonds at an artificially inflated price.

The missus, when asked what she wanted in her engagement ring, told me she wanted a sapphire or other coloured gemstone. Thank god she's wiser than most who buy into the 'OMFG I NEED A DIAMOND RINGZ!!!1' of the majority of sheeple.

Think I had one too many shots of vitriol in my coffee this morning... :p

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Very interesting. Though I'll eat my hat if the diamonds there are twice as hard as other diamonds. LoL.

5. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

There's going to be lots of unhappy diamond dealers (mostly controlled by the jewish). And lots of unhappy women who cherish their diamonds.

When I got engaged, my wife and I decided not to get a real diamond but a CZ instead. But we didn't skimp on the band, it's quite big/heavy 18ct gold and platinum. Ironically it's probably worth slightly more than we paid for it. Given jeweler mark-ups, that's saying something.

6. Au-mageddon

Au-mageddon Active Member

I seem to recall that the Russians have the same approach to their Palladium mines/stockpiles as well.

Talk down / Limit supply to the market and cash in on the extra $$$.

Pity we haven't learnt how to do that here in Australia - I seem to recall us signing a long term deal a few years back selling LNG to the Japanese for something like 10c/L. Friggin redonkulous.

7. steve.rsa

steve.rsa Member Silver Stacker

Impact diamonds have a different structure to normal diamonds, They are generally more rounded and have weird refraction patterns from the stress planes generated inside them. They are also generally microdiamonds, not the big jewellery stuff.

Actually would probably guess they have perfected their synthetic process, which even if produces a superior product would be labelled as inferior as it is man made....

8. Eureka Moments

Eureka Moments Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Good of the USSR to go broke 25 years ago instead of mining these.

What a crock.

9. R1dh0

R1dh0 New Member

WOW, this is what i call super diamond. good news for drilling company bad news for ordinary diamond dealers :D.

10. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

This article REEKS of BS...

twice as hard.... impossible.

3, 4, 5, ct impact diamonds.. they would be TINY as the compression is not sustained like is required to create a big diamond. Maybe its a Quadrillion .001 ct diamonds.. these are NOT salable as gems so would not destroy the market..

If this was real wouldnt the price of diamonds go down? I have seen zero evidence...

OH... also the photo is from a gem mine in Canada..

I am well aware of dEbeers and drip supply with huge inventories in Israel, India etc.. Also i would belive the Russians know a thing about demand /supply fundamentals so would not want to plunge the price of diamonds by bringing this out..

Diamonds are only semi precious anyway.. and not even the prettiest.

11. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I'd rather a real red Rubi any day ;)

12. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Mate i have SOME AWESOME RUBYS i just got.. winza (tanzania) and Vietnam Rubys... soo sooo nice.. great colours... some untreated, a couple treated, most with inclusions or loupe clean with SI ... Not sure i could part with but i can always get ..

1for1

13. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

No fun tickets for me this week :(
    Otherwise I'd be asking for photos , I wrecken Rubis are a much better stone than diamonds.
    Maybe in a couple of weeks :eek:

14. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

I would not mind having a look see on what you got.

15. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Cool mate.. ill be a week or so as i have a massive back log of tasks before i can sell anything else ... ill see how much i need fiat vs gems.. i might rather swapping for gold or silver (but im sure none of us want to be caught holding fiat).

1for1

16. Ozboy

Ozboy Active Member

Interesting if true.

17. silver87

silver87 New Member

18. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

RE-Mined them and off load into the markets, get the Indian diamonds craftsman to speed up the process :)

cheaper identical high carats re-mined diamonds :lol: