Russia 20 Kopeks a modest little gem

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Dynoman, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

This small 1915 Russian 20 kopek coin came in from Turkey of all places. Not a valuable coin by any stretch of imagination. It was black with grime. I know it's against all the laws of proper numismatics but I'm something of a rebel. Out came the bicarb to reveal the stunning detail which actually took my breath away. For a coin of this age it's sure has stood the test of time.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Yes, it is a beautiful coin.
    It has the most elegant double eagle design on any coin in history imo.
    I have the 5, 10 , 15 and 20 Kopeek coins from that era -

Here are some more images of the same coin ( this one is from 1914 - same mint master as your coin BC Victor Smirnov )

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic-6391-magnified-images-of-20-kopeek-1914-xf-coin.html

You can ( if you want to follow down the Numismatic road ) now be on the lookout on eBay for the same coin bearing different mint masters
    initials -( Felix Zaleman, Alexander Redko , Eliyakum Babayantz ) - and i promise i wont be listing any of mine on eBay so that you dont
    "stumble" on them :)

3. Dynoman

Dynoman Active Member

Cheers Thucky, I'm really impressed with the level of detail on the coin. I also have some 5's, 10's & 15's. Pretty cool how you can still purchase such a historically relevant coin for spot or close to. I would love to see the double eagle design replicated on a kilo coin.

4. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

Russian double eagle 1kg coin if were ever to be minted ( suggested mintage 1917 pieces ( yr of rev & fall of theTzar ))

The premium on that coin would be soo high and it would be snapped as if they were
    PAMP 1 oz gold bars priced at spot.

It would even outdo the Mayan Calendar ( the coolest desing on a 1kg silver coin currently )
    in terms of prices in the secondary markets.