Royal commission into trade unions

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by renovator, Sep 29, 2014.

1. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

.Just watching it on ABC about the MUA (maritime union australia)This is going to hurt . Only listened to it for 10 minutes & they are in deep shit as far as i can see
    1. demanded $1m for the use of foreign tugs to start a training scheme or they would strike & make it difficult for a project in the NT

2.Same thing concerning the use of foreign tugs on another project this time demanding 1% of profits to go into a fund increasing over time .

This shit belongs in the 1960s ....unbelievable !!

2. Court Jester

Court Jester Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

good on em, if it was not for unions wee would not enjoy the pay and conditions we do today.

3. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

Fighting for workers rights is one thing but extortion is something completely different .

Its time they got back to what they were originally formed for & i think this RC will go some way to doing this ...its about time.. Extorting money from companies is not conducive to encouraging business to invest in oz.

In the part i just watched we didnt have enough tugs or workers in australia to do the job . When theres a need to use foreign workers they shouldnt be penalised...its not as though they were taking australian jobs & were just using foreign labour to cut costs .

4. spannermonkey

spannermonkey Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

My old man used to tell me
    Unions = communists

5. Sandgroper

Sandgroper New Member

Didn't see the doc. And don't say the MUA are angels . The big tug companies in this country are not aussi companies they do employ Australians and there are a lot of unemployed west Australian seafarers so no need to import labour the tugs are nearly all built overseas . The tug companies in Aussie have training schemes and if the government requested new overseas players to contribute to a training scheme there would be no need for union involvement . There are many foreign seamen would love to work in our industry for a lot less than we receive , I don't see that benefit this country just the bottom line on multinational companies

6. long88

long88 Member

no wonder why we import workers...

7. smk762

smk762 Active Member Silver Stacker

They just want all our Big Macs.