Robot Tax - Now

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Holdfast, Mar 16, 2017.

1. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Like what specifically?

Social values arise out of economic activity. Without economic activity, our social values would be limited to little more than grunts and stick throwing, with maybe the only distinguishing features being the size of the sticks determined by their intended purpose and the grunts associated with the throws. The only economic theory worth learning (Austrian) is just an explanation of how those values arise out of economic activity. It follows therefore that economic activity cannot be planned or enhanced by economic theory in an attempt to make the outcomes of economic activity any more valuable than what they would naturally be if individuals were just left to meet their needs and desires voluntarily, without the coercive efforts of others. Any economic theory that attempts to explain anything beyond that just keeps economists, central bankers and politicians in a job.

You've misunderstood. You said that being unemployed or being employed in a shit job at a low wage wasn't a binary choice. It is to the employer who has to weigh up the cost of labour v the increased productivity when deciding to hire extra staff or not. The higher the wages, the more value an employee has to create. Sometimes it's just not worth the expense to employ someone.

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

You really should watch, ponder, and think before commenting...especially "mmm....shiney" you are young and part of the indoctrination process (Constant spew on this forum).

Will you be free? Will you reflect and look back on history when...to get paid your wages you didn't have to have a bank account; when you could buy a camera that didn't take GPS coordinates of the rare orchid that you trudged to find for a thousand hours or that fishing spot that only you know of.

There will be a time when your children will be like the lost soles of the Australian Aboriginies, where they are lost between what they are and the control of those who brought sickness and beliefs that caused destruction.

In the years to come...the haves will have no use for those who labour.

Robots...cheap robots will make folk redundant; just think of how many jobs that humans do today can be done by robots?

Some folk compare to the old days or the industrial revoluion; You folk who think like that are brain-dead!

Artificial Intelligence and robots are quickly taking over and if you don't believe in Moore's law, so be it.

It's a cyber epidemic!

Do yoiu think big business wants you? Do you think they want to employ someone like you when a Robot can do a better job and is cheaper?

Lokk at places like India with their "Caste" system! Do you think therobot cartel will give a f...k about you?

We need legislation now!

How many big businesses are already dodging their tax obligations? You know there are heaps!

Who will have a voice for all folk?

You can't get paid today unless you have a bank-account, that's control that you are use to and young folk are use to!

What will you do when you have no option to take your money out of the bank and do as you please with it?

You are being controlled in every way but you sit on your arse because it's all convenient to swipe.

Say...F U...pay in cash, don't become one of these morons that says it's convenient to swipe.

You are watched, every transaction you make is watched and logged, every phone call, where you go, what you do and.........

We need to tax the F...k out of big business, and we need to invigorate and pass-on the fact to our local ministers that we need change.

Don't be fooled!

The Big bosses in town don't give a shite about you; you are a serf and within the next 15 years you will be a redundant serf!

Last of the Mohicans - "but once, we were here"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glKiOJcwffk[/youtube]

3. mmm....shiney!

4. Stoic Phoenix

Stoic Phoenix Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Big business need consumers, without consumers big business fails.
    They dont just want you...ultimately they need you.

5. Holdfast

You are caste!

End

6. Stoic Phoenix

If you think you will be a "redundant serf" I feel sorry for you.
    Perhaps you are at an age where in 15 years you don't plan to be working anyway.
    If not well you have 15 years to take steps and get skilled in something you feel AI won't replace easily.
    I honestly feel my skill set wont readily be replaced by AI or robotics and as such am not in the mindset to share your pessimistic stance.
    The only thing cast with me is the figurative dice I used to determine my own fate going forward Holdfast

7. Holdfast

No! You are caste! Read the rest and my other posts! You are what you are now but you need to think about yonder!

Best to you...think long term not for now! :D

H

Music??? :D

8. Stoic Phoenix

Yonder? meh...thats a problem for future Stoic to deal with.
    In so saying present Stoic thanks past Stoic for setting future Stoic up nicely. :p

9. Holdfast

Mmm, we'll leave it at that Sir, very obstruent!

Cheers :)

10. Stoic Phoenix

Please do not confuse my glibness as anything more than a lack of acquiescence to pettifog.

11. mmm....shiney!

I see you edited it.

Wipe your chin, you're dribbling shit.

12. mmm....shiney!

We've been down this path in this thread and in other threads inumerable times.

I'd suggest you read this: https://mises.org/library/economics-taxation

150 years ago! And even today most people believe that taxation is vital in improving a nation's economic condition. Well, I guess most people believed for centuries that the Earth was flat so an abstract thing like taxing people does not make them more prosperous is going to take longer to sink in.

13. JulieW

JulieW Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

So Shiney, are Corporations entities with rights under your regime?

IMHO they are psychopaths which trample over everyone else's rights and steal directly from people without fair recompense.

I agree that taxation is a box of worms for individuals, and with the squelching of enterprise, but why shouldn't Corporations be taxed as what they are; malign economic entities.

14. mmm....shiney!

Ok. By my "regime" I'm referring to an anarcho-capitalist style of community. But the same principles could apply to a minarchist style of political organisation and even our own overly regulated system.

Are Corporations entities with rights under your regime? Yes they are. Corporations are just a group of individuals acting as aggregate holders of assets, as distinct from individual holders of assets. Therefore as property owners they deserve the same protection under the law in ensuring that their assets are free from those who would seek to unjustly appropriate theim for their own profit as that protection available to individuals. They deserve no more nor less.

Undoubtedly some corporate owners and their employees would behave in a manner that could be termed psychopathic. It would probably make it easier for me if you could give an example or two of psychopathic corporate behaviour. But essentially, it's a basic human trait that we expend as little effort as possible in order to achieve our needs. If it's easier to act in a predatory manner to achieve a goal, or to lobby the State for protection rather than compete against other producers on the free and open market, then naturally some are attracted to such a strategy. It's an even greater concern if such individuals or organisations have the support of the State in thieving directly from people. Hence the importance of competition and consumer choice and laws that uphold property rights as absolute.

Which brings me to my next question: what do you define as stealing without fair recompense? Can you provide some examples?

We haven't come to an agreement that they are in fact malign economic entities, so I don't accept that as justification for taxing corporations any more than individuals. They are just an aggregate of private property holders having risen to such a large market presence predominantly because they have best met the needs of consumers and therefore profited at either the financial expense of their competitors or have bought them out.

There's also the matter that taxes in Hoppe's words: lead[s) to a reduction in the formation of wealth embodied in such property and to a lowering of the general standard of living.

https://mises.org/library/economics-taxation

I'm looking forward to your answers and any other points you'd like to discuss.

15. JulieW

Psychopathic responses:

Union Carbide and Bophal.
    James Hardie and Asbestos
    Just about everyone Fracking

Stealing from everyone:

Lake Pedder.
    Adani mine
    Plastic litter
    and of course Fracking.

Taxes - the global evasion of tax and protections by jumping borders and countries is easy. They don't get taxed at the moment and they still behave as rapacious robber barons with zero concern for the environment and the people.

= malign economic entities.

p.s. and just have to add the iPhone maker response to people suiciding by jumping from their sweatshop building in China. Response - Nets. Not support services. Not better working conditions. Nets.

16. mmm....shiney!

Thanks Julie, when I get home tonight I'll sit down and try and come up with an answer to each of those examples.

17. mmm....shiney!

@Julie, also the stealing without fair recompense reference.

18. Lovey80

Lovey80 Well-Known Member

On the tax issue, if there was one tax rate for individuals and companies alike, like I have been advocating for years. Then I think it would solve a lot of the problems of tax evasion and people looking for dubious ways of reducing/avoiding tax.

One of the issues I think needs to be addressed is companies that set up sub companies, then charge the sub companies (themselves) huge amounts of interest on "loans" and huge fees for "intellectual" property, that is then taxed at next to nothing in a tax haven.

If a company like IKEA wants to do business in Australia, they can use heir own money to set up shop, make a straight forward profit off of their own IP, then pay the appropriate tax in each country they set up shop.

But changes like this should coincide with a full tax overhaul to a single tax rate across the board for individuals and companies alike.

19. mmm....shiney!

This will suffice for now.

http://www.wordnik.com/words/psychopath

I'm happy for the purpose of this exercise to anthropmorphise corporations.

So you're premises are that all corporations engage in Union carbide style safety shortcuts and practices that are beyond the safe operating limits of equipment, that all corporations knowingly produce and sell products containing deadly substances in the same way as James Hardie and that all corporations offer inadequate compensation packages to victims and that they do so without remorse or empathy? Clearly this premise is incorrect. The fact that individuals in those corporations made policy decisions that resulted in disasters that could have been prevented and that they attempted to either cover up, assign blame elsewhere or minimise the expense of such disasters to the companies is amoral, but it is not indicative that all corporations engage in such behaviour. Furthermore, such behaviour is not just confined to corporate boardrooms.

You're fracking reference is too broad. I'll leave it aside.

These refer to the conflict over the allocation and utilisation of natural resources. In the first two examples the right to utilise the natural resources were allocated to corporations for the benefit of the two corporations and electricity consumers, at the expense of other users. The fact that some users were favoured at the expense of others is not symptomatic of any flaw in corporate behaviour or presence, but a flaw in the system of private property rights. Similar scenarios have occurred when governments have awarded custody of swathes of land to indigenous people or set aside areas for conservation or preservation effectively preventing alternative uses of the natural environment by non-indigenous people or those who have non-preservation minded activities in mind.

And again, your plastic litter and fracking references are too broad, but i imagine that they have a similar theme ie conflicting use of the natural resource which results in some benefitting at the expense of others.

I'll look at taxes next time.

20. JulieW

I would fill hundreds of pages if I tried to document the range of corporations which "knowingly produce and sell products containing deadly substances in the same way as James Hardie and that all corporations offer inadequate compensation packages to victims and that they do so without remorse or empathy"

If you're actually interested in the issue of corporate power versus humanity - in the broadest senses of the words - then try this:

Preamble:
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOafbpaVw90[/youtube]

p.s. added some emphases.