Right time for entering share market?

Discussion in 'Markets & Economies' started by Andy28, Mar 20, 2014.

1. petey

petey Active Member Silver Stacker

A lot of Aussies own a home in Australia, they work for an Australian employer and invest in the ASX200.

The Aussie economy shits the bed and wouldn't you know it, they're in strife. Just as you diversify yourself by aiming to own property/cash/bullion/shares, one should also aim to diversify in a number of countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equity_home_bias_puzzle

2. atlas

atlas Member

You have to have over $500,000 invested for the ETF. The one I invest in is a managed fund, but the fees are as low as you can get. 0.90% for the first $50K and then decreasing to $0.35 on balance over $100K. That's extremely low. I think at Colonial I was paying over 2% for one fund, PLUS 4% at buy in, PLUS I was paying 0.60% to my financial advisor!! Financial advisor: "You can't really get ahead unless you borrow to invest and take out a margin loan." (10% interest).

Yeah right.

Scam city.

I went with this one. It's pretty well diversified. https://www.vanguardinvestments.com.au/retail/ret/investments/funddetailHIG.jsp

3. nonrecourse

nonrecourse Well-Known Member

The right time to enter the share market you ask? :rolleyes: Sure if you want to flush your money down the ASX wealth transfer from those with no clue to those with inside information. :lol: With the wall street lizards and their high frequency trading algorithms aided and abetted by a regulatory system designed to fleece sheeple go for it.

If you want to get rich it involves you controlling your investments directly through property, bullion and owning and operating businesses.

Kind Regards
    non recourse

4. petey

petey Active Member Silver Stacker

Not true. You can have any amount as it is an ETF, obviously because it costs you each time to purchase it is a waste of money to buy a small amount but there is no limit from Vanguard.

https://www.vanguardinvestments.com.au/retail/ret/investments/etfdetailVTS.jsp

You are referring to a Wholesale Managed Fund which requires $500,000.

Keep in mind that (at least) 49% of that fund is invested in Australia. Given the size of our economy that's a pretty large home country bias, but with that said IMO you're best off using one of the LifeStrategy funds if you intend on buying bonds too as it will take less time to get to $500k, and therefore less time until you can change over into a Wholesale Managed Fund with lower management fees.

5. atlas

atlas Member

Right Petey, thanks for clarifying. I remembered there was a reason I didn't go with the ETF of wholesale. Not enough capital lol.