Removing coins from slab

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by mmissinglink, Apr 4, 2016.

1. alor

alor Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

[​IMG]

slab open no way to put it back, but the intention were different then

2. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

^^^

WTF! Holy crap...that is one heck of a video! :lol:

3. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

I think the bottom line is: Again, some people just do *not* like slabs!

Whatever their reasons may be, that's what it is.

Now, since they hate these things, does that mean they're not entitled to a great coin?

Because odds are, many coins are originally slabbed for a good reason: Because they're great coins! :p

Really all there is to it..

4. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

I was simply exploring the reasons why.

I'm fairly certain I now know the reasons why....not all the reasons make logical sense but some people are not logical thinking people. That's just a fact of life. And I don't particularly care that someone cracks slabs open but it's the nasty condescending attitude of some of those people that I have and will always criticize.

The video you posted, Gatito, of the guy cracking open an MS68 ATB....there's no pugnacious antagonizing attitude displayed by that guy and so I have no reason to criticize him. Definitely a very different attitude displayed than the guy in the previous video you posted. And of course, the guy cracking the ATB out of a plastic holder is not putting it right back into a plastic holder like the first guy. Additionally, there's no indication at all that the guy in the first video got the slabbed coin at a total bargain price whereas with the MS68 ATB purchased we are made well aware that the guy scored a very good price on it.

Lots of important differences between the 2 people in those 2 videos. One comes across as a douchebag, the other not.

5. Silverpv

Silverpv New Member

Most of his videos are like that. He likes to play the 'antagonist' even though he really isn't. He's an older gentleman that bought low and sold high and doesn't really want to buy anything with a high premium. To me he's just an old school dude. It is a little ironic that he put it in a different capsule, I was actually planning on doing a video on a similar topic with two 1/4 eagles and actually fondling/handling the coin raw. I also brought up the point on a 1/4 on the YT live chat. Saying, why do they want to take it out and touch it when it obviously degrades the coin and sale price goes down. Cull seems like a cool guy and I've chatting with him about other stuff, just sometimes comes off as the cynical sarcastic dude, in the YT world its good to have that balance.

I have done a regrade and received a higher grade on a rare panda, so it is doable but I didn't need to crack it out of the slab to upgrade. Really, he probably just wanted to handle a coin like he did when he was younger. Most younger people now don't handle these kinds of coins in hand.

6. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

Yeah, from what I can tell by his YouTube vids & written comments, Cull seems like a pretty chill guy.

I've been a fan of his channel (for the most part, LOL) from his early days, back when he had a different "name"..

Seems to be pretty selective in his collecting, carefully picking his pieces & picking his entry points.

And while I might not personally buy everything that he does, I can certainly see *why* he does.

Anyway, not sure if this info would help sway mmissing any, LOL.. But the video I posted wasn't Cull's first where he showcased cracking open a slab.

He's done so once or twice before, and at the time a lot of people gave him a lot of crap for it. Faceless YouTube commenters, and all that.. ;)

So in the most recent video, I'm not surprised that he might have come across as a bit whatever, heh.

I'm glad he didn't quit his channel. I think he seriously did for about a month late last year, then perhaps was persuaded to change his mind.

I agree that he's certainly a welcomed perspective in the whole YouTube thing on collecting & stacking, and hope he keeps it up for as long as he wants..