Recommended coin dealers and scrap gold purchasers in Sydney

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by Byron, Dec 1, 2011.

1. camylopez

camylopez Member Silver Stacker

Apologies if I was too direct in my above posts, but the amount of dealer bashing that goes on in this forum is unbelievable, and the above is only to educate, not flame, and that is why I have disregarded the other thread, as it woulda got that way.
    I don't want to make any comment on any member, however, it seems that a lot of people have cacooned themselves into a silverstackers kind of mode, and have no idea what scrap dealers are doing in the real world. yes, i know about the guy in Melbourn, davis, as I have said before, good on him, and continue to sell to him if you all like, however there are so many other dealers out there who have to cover their costs, and unlike him haven't got a value added service.
    I will say though, 2 years ago the average silverstacker on here was a lot brighter than these days. About 9 months ago this forum has started to go downhill.

2. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Yet you've only seen fit to register in Jan this year - or are you running two accounts here?

In Victoria the holding period for second hand dealers is 7 days - not the 2 weeks it is in NSW.

Spannermonkey knows what he is talking about when it comes to the Melbourne scrap market.

3. wwwww

wwwww Member

4. RhythmDoctor

RhythmDoctor Active Member

He certainly does. Having traded with him regularly for a good while now, I certainly haven't lost any on my deals.

Forget all the baiting and bashing, I'm always interested in some gold or silver jewellery. :D

5. camylopez

camylopez Member Silver Stacker

Sorry, not pissed off, but I get cranky. Yes quite a bit of experience, but am always ready to concede others have more experience than me, but not when I see bullshit statement that a business that needs to cover a cost of near half a mill a year is running in a margin of claiming gst back from tax office.
    Yes, no dealer will buy rolled gold. Got not much in it anyhow, its usually 1/20 times the kt. however, good thing is you can get used to the look of rolled gold. However its usually stamped as rolled gold. You do bring up a valid point though, yes they do end up buying fakes, so they also need to allow a margin for that. If their good at their job, this is very minimal, next to nothing, its usually the new employees that will buy this.

@goldpelican
    No, do not currently have 2 accounts on here that I am aware of. I did sign up ages ago, however since I never saw the need to post, and most of the forum was viewable without logging in, I was pretty much an inactive member. I am assuming that my account got deleted, as in January I saw something I wanted to buy and when I logged in the account was no longer there, so made a new one.
    Sorry, I had no idea the law was different in Melbourne, in regards to the holding period, I stand corrected.
    I do not doubt that spannermonkey knows what he is talking about.
    I also thought industry participation was only required to be stated, if I was here in an official capacity, not as an individual. At least that's how it looked when I read it. However, I would rather not, if its all the same, as I am not connected with my work, on here.

6. Alfie

Alfie Active Member

Hey Camylopez
    Thanks for you're insight, Sounds like Spanner Monkey has plenty of experience too
    Cheers and out
    Alfie