Rare double Eagles to be returned to owners

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by sterling-nz, Apr 18, 2015.

1. sterling-nz

sterling-nz Well-Known Member

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americ...agle-gold-coins-worth-104m-returned-to-family

"A family has been awarded the rights to 10 rare gold coins possibly worth NZ$104 million or more after a US appeals court overturned a jury verdict.

US Treasury department officials insist the US$20 Double Eagles were stolen from the US Mint in Philadelphia before the 1933 series was melted down when the country went off the gold standard.

They argued that Joan Langbord and her sons cannot lawfully own the coins, which she said she found in a family bank deposit box in 2003."

I think this is how we post .
    No bagging me if i have done it wrong:)

Surely the $9,000,000 will not be on the books for this coin with 10 more in circulation.
    Still a great find , but i suspect upon further appeal they will again be the property of the USA Govt.
    This not NOT a good precedent set.

2. fishtaco

fishtaco Active Member Silver Stacker

Money talks but collectable envy makes illuminati monsters!

Its just a game between rich folk,something to do in between treading on us folk so I dont Give A F@#@!

People who just happen find gold in a safety deposit box years later are already
    narsasists who deserve to loose it to a government lol

3. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

4. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

Don't be like that fishy. I have been known to put the odd $20 in a coat pocket so I can get the joy of finding the money the next winter after I had forgotten it over the summer. This could be the same only a parent passes their safe deposit box to their child only for them to find a rare coin.
    Luck of the draw and future planning by the parent who was in the right place at the right time and made a few shrewd decisions and risks that others obviously didn't take. You don't get rich by staying in your comfort zone.

5. wrcmad

wrcmad Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

+1

6. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

+1 well said NM .take a walk on the wild side ....win lose or draw you're guaranteed to learn something in the process