QV v KG sovereigns

Discussion in 'Gold Coins' started by Shlomo Goldberg, Dec 21, 2020.

1. nicotineandcaffeine

nicotineandcaffeine Active Member

Key date coins and rare bars always appreciate at a faster rate than gold and silver price. A stacker that ignores collectability is basically leaving thousands on the table for the next person. (I honestly don't see the appeal of most collectibles but if there's demand... )

Shlomo Goldberg likes this.
  2. hardyakkagold

hardyakkagold Well-Known Member

Most sensible thing I have seen you post on the subject nicotine, but don't forget the rare varieties in sovereigns too, not just the rare dates.

Sure the value and appreciation of these might not be on par with rare key date and mintmark ones, but if in high grade they are still worth asking a
    substantial premium over a similar non variety coin.

Most collectors steer clear of them because they are too lazy to take the time and effort to educate themselves about how to identify these sovereigns,
    so that even when they come across one that is being presented as such and at a good price, they steer well away due to their ignorance and fear.

As for you spannermonkey, I thought you were smarter then that, buying gold sovereigns from dealers with the associated GST markups, not me thankyou very much.
    Or do you know dealers of your faith who don't charge you this extra fee?

As for just rolling up to the dealer and taking what ever junk sovereign he has on hand is not the smartest way to go about it either.

Don't you appreciate things of beauty?, because that is what sovereigns in high grades are and with a bit of legwork and finger work it is possible to
    purchase flawless uncirculated sovereigns privately for a cheaper price than the dealers sell their junk worn bullion grade crap.

Below is a nice uncirculated 1882s Young Head sovereign St. George reverse with portrait 2 designers initials ( large WW )
    on the reverse this coin is a short tail and small BP.
    Purchased it a few years ago for $380.
    DSCN8166 (FILEminimizer).JPG

nicotineandcaffeine likes this.
  3. nicotineandcaffeine

nicotineandcaffeine Active Member

Vicky is always prettiest with that wisp of hair before her ear.

4. hardyakkagold

hardyakkagold Well-Known Member

Yes, she is quite a stunner in those Young Head sovereigns.

It is quite remarkable that the young head portrait of her was in use for nearly 50 years, from 1838 all the way to her jubilee year of 1887.

It must be just about a record for any serving monarch, maybe Victoria wanted her subjects to see her in her youthful glory for as long as possible.

None of us like to be reminded that we are getting older and I suspect she was the same in this regard.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    Shlomo Goldberg likes this.