Quiet in hgere these days..... is everyone out of stocks?

Discussion in 'Stocks & Derivatives' started by SilverSanchez, Oct 19, 2011.

1. SilverSanchez

SilverSanchez Active Member

If no - one is buying PM stocks maybe then they are due for a run!

Its always when you're not looking at it. Everyone if fixated on the pullback, nobody is looking at the stocks )

My Hyperthertical Pick to outperform

Platina Resources (PGM) - Pt, Pd, Au miner in Greenland

2. finicky

finicky Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

The more desirable PM stocks are near their highs or have had modest pullbacks. Near their highs are for instances RRL, SLR and TRY
    Two of the stocks I'm holding, RMS and KCN are looking poor and not looking like they'll run.

Pretty barren looking field it looks with stocks looking either too expensive, or failing and not looking ready to reverse yet.

3. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

I bought a few more RMS after the price drop on the poor quarterly production outlook. I figure its a temporary blip but the price action is pretty ordinary. Bought some more SAR through the rights issue at 68cents. Its been holding up pretty well.

The gold index was starting to look good until the price corrected again and sentiment left it again.

edit

RMS seem to be building a stake in DRM.

4. finicky

I've been figuring that the weakness in RMS share price is some getting out in anticipation of hitches in commissioning and ramp up at Mt Magnet? I'll probably add some if it gets lower and gives off indications of a turnaround. Sure not seeing that yet.

DRM purchase seems sound but hasn't excited buyers. The Block C infill drilling result from Wattle dam was a one day wonder share price wise, even though it was very positive for good production prospects out of that block. But everyone wants some really good fundamental news out of Ramelius - something genuinely surprising and exciting in the face of the languishing gold price. Top drilling results below Block D and below the currently known ore body at Wattle Dam would do it.

Saracen Minerals (SAR) chart looking pretty healthy - that seems to be another quality goldie.

5. Silverthorn

Silverthorn Well-Known Member

6. Naphthalene Man

Naphthalene Man Active Member Silver Stacker

I'm out... just not comfortable gambling on the stocks atm

7. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

I've trimmed my trading account over the last year to only a few thousand dollars. My retirement account currently has 13 stocks and I am fully invested there. That account is full of high-quality high-yield dividend stocks that I am confident in for the long haul. I let all of the reinvested dividends do the dollar-cost-averaging for me. Too hard and costly to try to time the market with a retirement account.

8. SilverSanchez

I am getting a SMSF underway and I am planning to include a section of PM Miners (Au, Ag, Pt) and Energy Stocks (Oil, Uranium, Ree, Utilities and maybe Gas)

Do you have any tips or list of ones to look at - ive always been investing in small cap explorers developers I dont know alot about Mid-Large caps or dividend payers...

9. heyimderrick

Key to managing risk is to be diversified. You'll want to include a variety of stocks from different sectors and cap-sizes in your portfolio.

My personal suggestion is to include one stock from each sector below to form your core holdings. I like to have my core holdings made up of large, relatively 'stable' companies. I'm not sure what stocks you have access to since I am in the US, but I will list some examples of my holdings for each and their ticker symbols.

Defense (Raytheon, RTN)
    Oil/Energy/Utilities (Exxon, XOM; Seadrill, SDRL; Atlantic Power, AT)
    Telecom (Verizon, VZ)
    Healthcare (Eli Lilly, LLY)
    Tobacco (Altria, MO; Phillip Morris, PM)
    Industrials (Dow Chemical, DOW)
    Tech (Apple; AAPL)
    Miner/Explorer (US Gold, UXG)

After you have these covered, I'd certainly recommend branching out to other sectors you feel confident about. Just do your homework on whatever companies you have an interest in before making a purchase. Once you do make a purchase, if the stock pays dividends, I would elect to have them automatically reinvested.

I also like to sign up for the investor relations notices from the companies that I decide to invest in. You'll get better information from their press releases than what you'll read on internet news sites.

10. jnkmbx

jnkmbx Well-Known Member

Stocks are a "hold", PMs are a "buy".
    Gotta enjoy low 30s silver while it's possible. :cool:

11. Mr Medved

Mr Medved Member

0% exposure but will be seriously looking to get into the markets in the short/medium term.

When the bond markets blow up capital will have to run somewhere and shares may be a beneficiary.

12. SilverSanchez

Also when people cant get physical - they will run to the ETF, BUT there is better value in the stocks!

Why buy 1kg of silver for $1000, when you can get 1kg of silver in the ground for $100 via a mining stock.

13. systematic

systematic Well-Known Member

because at the end of the day a mining stock can be just a lousy piece of paper "pretending" ?

14. nonrecourse

nonrecourse Well-Known Member

A kilo in your hand is worth two in the ground:D

Kind Regards
    non recourse

15. SilverSanchez

I agree that is true, but when you cant get even an ounce in your hand - guess where people will run after the ETFs cant even buy physical, this is why stocks have always out performed bullion in the bulls. Gold miners are mining money, they can pay their own costs with their comodity.

CCU just experienced a debt funder who bailed and made up the difference in funding from a institutional payment. They got a great deal at 65c per share, so I am expecting the SP to drop to that level (at least, I am even hoping it will dip to high 50s) in the near future - and Im going to be a buyer (already have my order in).

16. finicky

joshrichy, have you ever had significant losses from buying gold/silver miners? Because you are soon to know what it feels like with that simplistic and naive reasoning. I learned the hard way, and I suspect you are going to have to also.

17. SilverSanchez

Well Finicky - i appreciate what you are saying - but JUST saying that doesnt really help me.... so either explain to me what and why - just giving me the doombringer scenario is rather simplistic as well dont you think?

What is your investment goal? What is your investment strategy etc etc help me understand what you have learnt and how you have learnt it - that might help me. Im not stupid, i can learn if someone takes the time to educate me.

18. heyimderrick

I would only want to be in an ETF that has the physical to back it, otherwise all you're doing is playing a paper game that could be riskier than you'd think. If you want PM exposure, go with physical or shares in a proven producer. If you want to take on some speculative risk, you can look to explorers and miners that have land with proven reserves that will be coming into production soon, but I would only do that after setting up diversified core holdings.

I also agree with Mr Medved about the bond market blowing up...again. But to a further point, the more fiat produced and the prolonged artificially low interest rates will leave few options for investors besides equities and commodities. Choose wisely and you should be set for long-term gains.

19. glam

glam Member

I sold out of my managed funds 12 - 18 months ago.
    I've been slowly re-entering the stock market into some more speculative small cap stocks, some of these PM miners. I'm not interested in trading in and out so small cap and speculative stocks is

I entering slowly with relatively small trades so I can learn from my mistakes without loosing my shirt.

I bought a small amout of CGT today to add to my earlier position. Time will tell if I am silly to purchase on a falling stock price, maybe I should have waited for it to turn into uptread, or for Gold to turn positive, but we will see.

If we see a major market crash, I will look to purchase more established miners.

There seems so much upside to the gold / silver price, that I would regret missing the inevitable run in the miners.