Question on Perth mint lunar series

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by RadDude, Mar 22, 2011.

1. RadDude

RadDude New Member

First of all I want to say that I love Perth mint lunar series . I just don't understand how they determine the mintage number. I've collected a full set of series 1 , one and two oz, starting on series two. I'm having a heck of a time finding a two oz mouse . I look at the Perth mint page only to find they only minted several thousand instead of other years ,where they mint 30 k . Is this just a marketing ploy to drive up the demand and price? Any insight would helpful.

Thanks , the Dude

2. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

Often they set a maximum limit they will mint, but instead of minting them all at ounce, they only mint the quantity they receive orders for.

3. RadDude

RadDude New Member

So does that they will restrike at a latter date . Have they ever done that in the past?

4. heyimderrick

heyimderrick Active Member

Yes, they have the option of doing that if they see a demand for it from their buyers, unless they decide to close out the series. They recently re-released the Lunar Series II mouse. From what I understand though, Lunar Series I is closed out and no coins from that series will be re-released even if they didn't mint the maximum.

5. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

1oz Lunars have a maximum of 300,000 and all other sizes no limits (except the 10kg). The number of coins struck is determined by buyer demand for that year. So I think the 2008 Mouse 2oz had like 9,000 produced. Thats because people didnt actually want to buy many. If you had have rolled up in 2008 and wanted 20,000 of them, the mint would have gladly pumped that many out. Once September 2008 comes around, the Mint shuts off that years coin (Mouse) so no more are struck. Although ONLY in the case of the 1oz they Mint reserves the right to restrike up to the 300,000 limit in later years (as was the case with the Mouse). But in ALL other sizes, including the 2oz, the Mint will NOT restrike. So in the case of the 2oz Lunar Mouse the mintage of 9,000 or so is all there are and all there will ever be. Same goes for the 1/2oz, 5oz, 10oz, 1/2kg and 1kg - no more will be struck.

6. RadDude

RadDude New Member

Thanks Matthew 26:14, I guess ill have to go on a silver mouse quest. any suggetions

7. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

Be careful.. chasing a relatively rare bullion coin can turn somewhat numi... ATEOTD.. 999 is 999. I'd love to see a photo of all the lunars side by side. What a sight to behold.

I'd love some lunar snakes and dragons.. but too hard to find. Or if they are available, they get snapped up too fast.

8. RadDude

RadDude New Member

Thanks shiny, been there done that. Had a full set of 2oz series one except the dragon. Pick it it last year for about 110usd, .looking now, may have been a deal. However, have to fulfill my obsession. If I have to pay a little more that's ok I just don't what to get screwed to much

9. RadDude

RadDude New Member

By the way is there a way to post picture from an iPhone or iPad that a simple minded person like me could follow.

10. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

110 USD for a 2oz Dragon is a score - APMEX sell the 1oz now for $135 USD, and they generally have fetched less in the US than Australia up until very recently.

11. RadDude

RadDude New Member

Thanks it's a great coin. It completed the set, and Made me a happy camper.

12. 2003dve

2003dve New Member

I am still looking for a 2oz mouse series II if anyone has one for sale.

13. adrenalin

adrenalin New Member

same... hard to find or expensive.

14. PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny Well-Known Member

Careful ..GP might give you a smack on the bottom for posting comments in the wrong thread. Put a 'wanted' ad in the for sale/wanted/swap thread.

:D

15. 2003dve

2003dve New Member

Oooops, thanks Pretty, already did put a ad in there. Apologies GP