Question about toning / silica gel / pcgs grading

Discussion in 'Numismatics' started by postafoa, May 22, 2015.

1. postafoa

postafoa New Member

Hello

I have a number of china 2012 30 year anniversary 1/4 Oz proof panda's, of which several have begun developing toning on the rim and edge by the spot where the plastic holder has a small cutout to ease opening them..

My question is, if i submit them to pcgs for grading, will pcgs be able to remove the toning before slabbing them?

And in general, would it be a good idea to try to source a big box of silica gel pouches and add a pouch to every zip-lock bag? I have a habit of storing all my numismatic coins separately in individual zip locks..

Thx for any info..

2. Elkslayer132

Elkslayer132 New Member

Use a food sealer for your coins it removes all air from around coins and you can handle them much easier. Pretty sure Silica gel pouches are more for moisture control.

3. Golden ChipMunk

Golden ChipMunk Well-Known Member

Put them in an Airtite containers, if there are too much hassle. Can be purchase in many places these days..

4. postafoa

postafoa New Member

Thx for the replies. I just put all coins in food sealers.. I am thinking about getting some coins graded, and i see PCGS has a conservation service, just wondering if they can easily remove relatively recent toning, and if you need to pay for restoration to have that done or if basic rinsing is done during grading and slabbing..