Question about American Eagles

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by TJD1949, Feb 13, 2013.

1. TJD1949

TJD1949 New Member

I am collecting Proof AEs and am confused about mint marks. Noticed some S some W and some with P why are the mint marks from the mint different for certain years??

2. shinymetal

shinymetal Well-Known Member

from wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Silver_Eagle

Minting history

The first American Silver Eagle coin was struck in San Francisco on October 29, 1986.[20] Secretary of the Treasury James A. Baker III presided over the striking ceremony held at the San Francisco Assay Office. According to a Chicago Sun-Times article, as Baker "reached for the electronic button on press No. 105, he turned to the audience and said, 'I don't need a pick and shovel to start the San Francisco Silver Rush of 1986.'"[21]
    Bullion

Bullion Silver Eagle coins do not have mintmarks. From 1986 to 1998, they were minted at San Francisco. From 1999 to 2000, they were minted at Philadelphia and West Point. Since 2001, they have been minted only at West Point.[citation needed]

In March 2011, the San Francisco Mint conducted trial strikes of bullion Silver Eagle coins in preparation for the resumption of full production later in the spring. The added production capacity provided by the San Francisco Mint supplements the output of the West Point Mint.[22][23]
    Proof

From 1986 to 1992, proof Silver Eagle coins were minted at San Francisco and these coins bear the "S" mintmark. From 1993 to 2000, they were minted at Philadelphia and these coins bear the "P" mintmark. From 2001 to 2008, they were minted at West Point and these coins bear the "W" mintmark.[24] No proof versions were minted in 2009. Beginning again in 2010, the proof coins were minted at West Point and bear the "W" mintmark.
    Uncirculated

From 2006 to 2008 and beginning again in 2011, the United States Mint issued a collectible uncirculated Silver Eagle coin produced at West Point (bearing the "W" mintmark). The coins are struck on specially burnished blanks and sometimes are referred to as "W Uncirculated" or "Burnished Uncirculated."[25]

3. House

House Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Also from Mr Google

4. House

Ah Shiny, beat me to it. Next question is mine :D

5. shinymetal

shinymetal Well-Known Member

i am living proof that someone can beat you to something !!! :D

today, i feel like a god!

6. House

Bahahaha. Only because I'm on my iPhone and being OCD about editing posts takes a while.

Challenge is on for the next one... The gauntlet has been laid