Querry

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Argentum, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

boought this coin recently quite cheap its reeded dont have picture from other side. Need to clean it a bit. The coin is reeded. My question is anyone who knows bout these coins are they reeded or do they have writings, i thought they didnt do reeding at that time, it just makes me wonder if its a fake. I didnt pay a lot for it so it might be, in krausse it doesnt say whether its reeded or has writing around it. Any help is appreciated

2. Matthew 26:14

Matthew 26:14 New Member

The German writing reads "Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg".

The Hanseatic part may refer to the Hanseatic League. From wikipedia:- "The Hanseatic League was an economic alliance of trading cities and their guilds that dominated trade along the coast of Northern Europe in the later Middle Ages. It stretched from the Baltic to the North Sea and inland during the Late Middle Ages and early modern period (c.13th17th centuries). The Hanseatic cities had their own legal system and furnished their own protection and mutual aid, and thus established a sort of political autonomy and in some cases created political entities of their own.

So I'd say you coin would probably day pre 1600's at a guess. Anything on the reverse to help ?

3. Golden

Golden Member

4. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

5. Captain Kookaburra

Captain Kookaburra Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Gotta love wikipedia for creating wild goose chases.

This coin is early 20th Century.

6. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

7. bernhard

bernhard New Member

re; Freie und Hansestadt Hamburg coins -the coin is definitely fake. It has to have writing around the edge and should not be reeded. It even looks fake. Same person wanted to sell my son this coin and I told the seller that it was fake and he should not sell it as genuine. He got upset and I explained to him that it was a fake but he said "it was only $25.00". It is still not worth $25.00.

8. Silver Frost

Silver Frost New Member

ARRRRRRRRRRRRH Do Not Clean This Coin. If you want a shiny silver coin ill send you one. An aUNC 1966 round ,uncleaned. Honestly it dosnt matter how you clean a silver coin,rub it,dip it, you drop at least one grade,or usually drops it to bullion grade, if you rub a silver coin with anything eg Toothpaste to fine rouge all you do is scratch the surface, which is why it looks shiny. Yer my passion is silver coins , it used to be my X , her favorite colour was shiny. Seriously if you want to swap id love her.

9. Silver Frost

Silver Frost New Member

Are you sure its the same coin and seller??

10. Argentum

Argentum Well-Known Member

yea thucy saw this coin when he came over thats the same one from his link. But yes its reeded and doesnt anything around it. Might put some bicarb soda and see what happens

11. Silver Frost

Silver Frost New Member

My sister bought me "silver" coins back from Vietnam,when i opened the bag there was a distinct sweet smell like car battery but where sellers in Oz know that they are selling fakes and fail to mention it is good enough reason to wipe them,like thoes 34-35 Centenary Florins on ebay,so many are obviously fake....Need a Sh1tlist..