Queensland Untreated Unheated Sapphires

Discussion in 'Jewellery & Gems' started by brisbanecoin, Oct 9, 2013.

1. brisbanecoin

brisbanecoin Member Silver Stacker

Lets see some local pictures of stones found up in Queensland. These were all found in Queensland then sent away for cutting, left untreated and not heated.

Each photo is of the same stone just taken from different angles all outside most in the Queensland sunlight! (top photos done when it was still cloudy and all done with a $200 Fuji film so I'm sure others can do better!)

1.35ct Sapphire:
    [​IMG]

1.7ct Sapphire:

[​IMG]

1.8ct Sapphire:
    [​IMG]

1.9ct Sapphire:

[​IMG]

2. brisbanecoin

Nobody else yet? Will allow photos of NSW stones too! lol Come on let see some! Also if anybody's interested let me know, always willing to trade for silver, gold, platinum or other stones!

A few more from the collection:
    1.8ct Sapphire
    [​IMG]

The big guy 2ct Sapphire (colourings darker though)
    [​IMG]

3. shinymetal

shinymetal Well-Known Member

what are rocks like that worth anyway? i know nothing about any of this sort of thing, but have always thought it would be cool to have some stones in my treasure chest :D
    and how big are they, but hard to tell without them sitting next to anything.. maybe post some picks with them sitting on or next to a 5 cent coin or something ?

lovely stones you got there

4. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

$125 - $150/carat with no inclusions.

5. brisbanecoin

I think that is a bit off Mr shiny... No inclusions on NATURAL UNENHANCED sapphires are closer to 1000+ a ct depending on colour just check out the Natural Sapphire company: http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/sapphires/c-5-blue-sapphires/

They also have a great read under the education section!

Natural sapphires that have been enhanced (dug out of the ground instead of lab created and then enhanced by other chemical or heating procedures) probably around the $125-150 ct mark.

If you know a Jeweller that has any 2ct cornflower blue IF to Flawless Natural unenhanced, untreated sapphires (Guaranteed or cash back)for $250-$300 Please share where to go!

Click the above link and check out the education section as that should help you out a little bit with some back ground knowledge. The above stones If you go out by the gem fields and meet some nice characters you can pick them up around $100 a ct. If you go to a touristy gem shop or jewellery shop expect to pay 3x-5x that amount depending on location. The stones above were sent away for cutting as paying Australian Labour wages you can imagine how much you would have to pay for cutting. Overseas cutting is generally around $25-40 per finished stone and depending on the shape of the rough your finished stone is anywhere from 6% to 35% the weight of the rough stone. If you want to take the time to search for gemstones it can be a fun camping experience and great hobby but unless you get super lucky it will not be that profitable (compared to using your time working flipping burgers at an Aussie wage lol)

Size wise the stones I posted today: 1.8ct is approx. 7mmx8mm and the 2ct is approx. 6mmx9mm

6. mmm....shiney!

mmm....shiney! Administrator Staff Member Silver Stacker

Thanks BrisbaneCoin, just quoting prices from a prospector who sells them ;)

Edit to add: cornflowers definately more expensive. I note none of the above are cornflours.

7. brisbanecoin

True none of the above are cornflower so maybe a bit off but even still I am genuinely interested if you can get IF to FL Sapphires with nice colouring at that price. PM details and photos and maybe make a little coin!

Edit to add as long as they are not enhanced or treated in anyway, above 1.5ct and guaranteed or cash back

8. brisbanecoin

The 1.9ct is PENDING trade

9. willrocks

willrocks Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

How do you tell if a sapphire was heat-treated?

10. brisbanecoin

If you follow the link above and click on education you can see a few of the things to look for. Then its just experience!

11. slappy70

slappy70 Member

Sapphires can be had for many different price ranges. I have smaller Ceylon Sapphires for $4-5 per carat ( I have around 350 carats). I also have 1-2 carat Sapphires from Thailand, Ceylon and Africa priced at $20--$50 per carat. I would sell outright or trade for gold/silver. I can also make simple jewelry such as the pair of Montana Sapphire earrings pictured. If anyone is interested, just lmk. I've been buying and selling gemstones for the last 12 years. I have Sapphire, Ruby, Emeralds, Tourmaline, Tanzanite and many more. I've sold items to members on Bullion Stacker and RealCent forums. Thanks [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/3885_865ct_sapphire_lot.jpg][​IMG][/imgz] [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/3885_1277ct_sapphire_lot.jpg][​IMG][/imgz] [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/3885_th_107sapphire-1_zpse988880f.jpg][​IMG][/imgz] [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/3885_135ct_montana_sapphire_earrings.jpg][​IMG][/imgz] [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/3885_106ct_unheated_green_sapphire.jpg][​IMG][/imgz] [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/3885_101_white_sapphire.jpg][​IMG][/imgz] [imgz=http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/3885_th_97sapphire_zps72e5ebb7.jpg][​IMG][/imgz]

12. brisbanecoin

Hey Slappy, Yes Sapphires can be had at many different price ranges but there are many different types of sapphires out there. Are they all natural and untreated? $4-5 a stone here wouldn't even cover cutting cost sending to Thailand or Sri Lanka(many of your coloured stones if untreated would be extremely rare and expensive, since you have 350ct and can sell for $4-5 then I would guess they are all treated or created)

This thread was originally for QLD and NSW UNTREATED UNHEATED sapphires but if your stones come from other parts of the world and are UNTREATED and UNHEATED then please feel free to post some detailed pictures of them ( Even zooming in I can't really see any details of individual stones) Please include origin and either weight or dimensions.

If your sole aim is just trade and sell stones then I I believe http://forums.silverstackers.com/message-593851.html#p593851 is the thread your looking to post in since priced in gold or silver.

Why not show off first I would love to see some high resolution photos of the Rubys, Emeralds and Tourmalines (Not that much of a Tanzanite fan) But also love Tsavorites if you have any. The Jewellery thread doesn't seem to get to much action so Start some threads for us to drool over and Im sure you will have some interest here if you list accurately (natural/treated/origin)

13. slappy70

slappy70 Member

I don't deal in man made/synthetic stones, so yes, all of the sapphires pictured are natural stones. I have some that are heated and some that are not. On the pictures I posted, all have been heated except pictures 5 and 7. One is a 1.07ct sapphire from Thailand and the other is a .97ct sapphire from Thailand. They are both unheated/untreated stones. It has been my experience that most buyers actually prefer the enhanced color of a heated sapphire. The $4-5 per carat stones are small (as you would guess). Most of them range .05ct--.35ct, however they are natural stones, not man made/synthetic.

I apologize, as I thought it was just a general thread about sapphires, not just for untreated/unheated. I'll try to post some better pics (I'm sure you know that taking pics of gemstones/jewelry can be quite challenging). I did post some tourmaline pics a little while back, but I'll post some more. Thanks and I look forward to future discussions.

14. brisbanecoin

No worries mate, just trying to keep the thread as straight forward as I can as I know Gemstones can be a bit confusing to those wanting to learn. So are all the smaller ones $4-5 per carat stones heated? Any unheated/untreated as they would make some nice accent stones? Look forward to seeing some detailed pictures! (and yes I realize its difficult, but if I can do it knowing nothing about cameras with a $200 Fujifilm then I am sure anybody can! lol Also that's probably equivalent to an $80 camera in the US as they are so much cheaper over there!)

Also do you just trade or do you cut/facet as well?

15. slappy70

slappy70 Member

Yes, all the smaller ones are heated. I'll have to look through my stock to see what smaller unheated/untreated sapphires I have. Here are some more pics of unheated/untreated sapphires, most are from Thailand and a few from Africa and Montana. All are between 1-2cts except the lot of yellow/green stones, which as a lot weighs 3.60cts. I have many more, I just have to dig them out and take pics. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. slappy70

slappy70 Member

previous pics blown up (I think). [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Nedsnotdead

Nedsnotdead Active Member Silver Stacker

Kids got these recently searching through a $10 bucket of dirt at a mine near sapphire.
    Nice keepsake for when they are older.

[​IMG]