[QA] What is the difference between a regular coin and a slabbed one?

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Suckering Suckertash, Apr 16, 2012.

1. low

low New Member

Thus far, they (people posting in the China coins forum) only have evidence this grader (Dragon Lau) "upgraded" a 1934 Junk dollar from MS67 to MS67+. A wealthy investor offered him some hefty amount but he refused to sell.

The main complain is this grader actually submitted his coins to PCGS which has violated PCGS rules. Whether PCGS will take action against him is what I am interested in.

Since he joined PCGS, the grading of old China silver dollar coins have been "tightened" very significantly. Taiwanese dealer knows very well about this.

Only for coins he submitted will receive high grades. I think only he knows how many coins he submitted himself.

Some of those MS66 coins were sold in Stacks Bowers auction. It is interesting to know if those MS66 coins were in fact true MS66 to the eyes of the expert.

Anyway, as of now, PCGS is still a preferred grading company for old China coins. I hope they do some proper housekeeping.

2. silverstar1

silverstar1 New Member

wow this is a heavy charge was there any proof of this? if so you would think there might have been more action like this on other coins.

3. low

low New Member

Pricing is right, but there are over 400 varieties of 1914 fat man dollar, some are very expensive. Probably can't get a 1914 "O" variety MS64 for $3000 but definitely can get the common variety for $1000 or less.

I am not sure about old ANACS grading. I do read a Taiwanese dealer who once owned an ANACS graded 1914 fat man dollar MS66. He thought ANACS undergraded the coin, and the coin receive MS67 when he submitted to PCGS.

So I am not sure if there is scam here or perhaps that ANACS MS64 is in fact a true PCGS MS66.

For second example, it is in ordinary PCGS holder which no one can verify the coin photo. The coin does looks better than MS64 so I am not sure if the photo is genuine.

Sorry I just find it difficult to trust what those people talk in the forum. There is no way we can verify with PCGS. PCGS don't keep the coin photos for the ordinary holder. That make them sucks.

If the PCGS MS64 coin is in secure plus holder, it probably is easier to tell.

4. fishball

fishball New Member Silver Stacker

Yep can't verify the rumors and PCGS hasn't made an official statement yet :p

For all we know this is just a rumor started by some opportunistic bastards who want to crush the price of PCGS MS66 fatmans so he/she can hoard :)

5. low

low New Member

Old time collectors have hard time to understand why an MS66 fat man dollar sell for $20000 these days. Five years ago they can be had for $1000.

Ouch!

6. серебро

серебро New Member

Is this coin the same as the others posted?

[​IMG]

7. low

low New Member

8. серебро

серебро New Member

9. low

low New Member

The look and feel. I am no expert, so if you are concern, you can post the image in CCF there the expert can help.