Purchasing silver in Europe

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by Brizzystacker, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Brizzystacker

Brizzystacker New Member

G'day folks,

I'm heading off to Europe soon and wondering if there's any interesting places to go to buy silver, on any products that may be worthwhile picking up over there that would otherwise be expensive over here.

Any thoughts would be appreciated as this is my 1st time over there, and I'm still pretty new to stacking.

Current itinerary is:
    France - Bruge - Antwerp - Amsterdam - Munich - Venice - Bologna - Rome - Athens

Maybe bullion coins - I might need them in Athens :/

Brizzystacker

2. Silverman99

Silverman99 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Sounds like a great trip you have planned

Check out www.silbercorner.de

they have some interesting items be can be a little on the expensive side

Enjoy

Cheers

3. Zomby

Zomby New Member

http://www.heubach-edelmetalle.de
    I bought from these guys a month ago and were reasonably priced, but low on stock for Oz coins so may need to phone ahead if you need something specific.

In EU they have to pay VAT on silber of 7%, and even more on gold so check the prices as it may be cheaper to buy in Oz.

Enjoy your trip, sound cool, must do a gondola ride in Venice.

4. AndyRoo68

AndyRoo68 Member Silver Stacker

5. Brizzystacker

Brizzystacker New Member

Thanks for the info guys, appreciate it.
    I wasn't aware of the 7% VAT so that may make a big difference.

6. Photonaware

Photonaware Active Member

You definitely won't forget the 20% VAT here in rip-off Britain should you come visit.
    We need your money to pay for all the lavish spending !

7. Silber

Silber Member

Concerning the VAT: Here in Germany it's 7% for silver coins and 19% for silver bars. But bullion gold (coins or bars) in any form has 0.0% VAT. I'm not sure about the VAT in other countries however.

The problem is that there are hardly any bullion/coin shops which sell their stuff at the counter. Some online shops (like silber-corner.de, mentioned above) offer the option to pick your stuff up at the counter, but you still have to order online (and some dealers offer this option only if you made a bigger purchase, like >5000).

Most coin shops may or may not have gold ounces in stock, but in any case, pure coin shops tend to have ridiculously high prices for bullion.

But since you are visiting Munich, you might consider http://www.proaurum.de/home/standorte/deutschland/muenchen.html : As far as I know, this one of the very few dealers where you can walk right into the shop and pay in cash, and they have a large variety of coins and bullion. (It's not a recommendation, since I have not bought there yet, but it's one of the most well-known coin- and bullion dealers in Germany)

EDIT: In any case, you should also inform you about any regulations concerning customs, in order to avoid trouble at the airports!

8. Goldmark

Goldmark New Member

You can get some silver bullion coins (like Maples, Philharmonics) cheaper in Germany (even with the 7% VAT), Australian bullion coins are usually cheaper here. Don't know about prices/taxes in other European countries. Many shops offer "tax-free for tourists", so you would get most of the VAT (not all of it, there is a service fee) back at the airport when leaving the EU.

Check out Degussa Goldhandel in Munich. Prices seem very reasonable and the shop is in the city centre (I have not purchased from them yet).

However, if you are interested in less common coins, then proaurum is a good choice.
    For current prices and stock list, click on the link posted by Silber above, then on "Preisliste" and then "Mnchen".

9. Dutchgreener

Dutchgreener Member

Netherlands, Amsterdam:

Gold coins: 0,00% VAT
    Gold bars: 0,00% VAT
    Silver coins: 0,00% VAT
    Silver bars: 19% VAT aaaaaargghhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Have fun!

10. Dutchgreener

Dutchgreener Member