Pricepedia 2000 Index: January 2012 Update

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by Pandacollector, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Pandacollector

Pandacollector Active Member

The China Pricepedia 2000 Index gets revised twice a year. It is made up of 20 Panda coins with populations under 2,000. The Pricepedia Index is a measure of how an investment strategy concentrated in the most numismatic of Pandas is performing relative to a strategy based on the gold and silver value of the coins. It is NOT meant to be a general Panda market Index, and doesn't necessarily reflect the price movements of the rest of the market.

I'm sure everyone will notice that the Index has plateaued since the last update compared to the declines in metals. As the Index is an average of many coins, it sometimes conceals as well as reveals. In previous updates nearly all the coins moved in the same direction, just in varying degrees. That is not the case over the last half of 2011. Some coins were up as much as 50% while others were down by as much as 30%. In the end, these moves canceled each other out and the China Pricepedia 2000 Index ended up ahead by 1/2 of one percent. Because of this scattershot pattern of price movements, it wouldn't surprise me if the Index doesn't match the experiences of some collectors as well as it usually does.

I hope that everyone finds it interesting.

[​IMG]

Best wishes,
    Peter Anthony
    http://www.pandacollector.com