Price up for majority of MCC/Medal

Discussion in 'Modern Chinese Coins & Medallions' started by andrewlee10, May 19, 2015.

1. andrewlee10

andrewlee10 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Hi Guy,

I notice majority of MCC/medal price up and stock depleted china within these few weeks. Many dealers start buying back the coins in big quantity for the electronics platform. Few log established ebay dealers also keep up their price recently.

Is this stable? Will it continue ? is that a risk ?

I did liquidate some of my stuff now. Is that right time to let go or wait for higher profit?

The lack of information and transparency will cause me hard in decision making. I read mandarin and collect information. However, the information as not easily as share market.

The risk is higher than share market BUT return also much higher. Less capital as compare to share market. However, liquidity and seller is another issue.

Please share your idea.

2. Beyond

Beyond Well-Known Member

its more risk like gambling
    nobody knows they will increase more or decrease more suddenly

3. sammysilver

sammysilver Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

If you sell now, can you replace cheaper later?

4. Gatito Bandito

Gatito Bandito Active Member

The electronic platform is a stupid idea. Who does that for something like medals??

Everybody wants to get in ahead of time.. Supply dries out, so prices ramp up.

Not a good time to be a buyer for one's long-term personal collection. :(

I think this platform will not be a good thing. Prices might go high at the start for a while, but then eventually come crashing back down.

Might take a few months, or a year. Who knows.

I'm not going to chase prices. I have a pretty diverse stack/collection, plus the knowledge & interest to go with it.

My money will go elsewhere, if need be. Ag budget not as much these days as it used to be, anyway.

My China medals are staying put. But I don't blame you for selling, Andrew.

5. andrewlee10

:p medal online platform just up :rolleyes:

It cannot be escaping.

6. andrewlee10

my view as Beyond it is gamble rather than playing share with quality information and technical to assess the risks.

7. Gatito Bandito

I can see into the future..

Outlook not good. :(

8. andrewlee10

I have no crystal ball. However the online platform make it more easy to trade which lead to higher demand.

Therefore, I always say let me get in at low price first before demand up lol.

9. barsenault

barsenault Well-Known Member

10. mmissinglink

mmissinglink Active Member

Certainly this is one of my favorite modern Chinese medals. Often, with many medals, I like one side much better than the other, but with the Xi-Shi, I can not decide if I love the Beauty side or the Dragon side better....they are both exquisite.

The one thing that I am a little confused about is that in Lucky's description, it states "natural pearl inlaid". Now I am no jewelry expert by any stretch of the imagination but I presumed that the pearl is cultured (a cultured pearl is a real pearl, basically a natural catalyst sphere is surgically implanted into a mollusk) because a truly natural pearl that large would cost many thousands of dollars, wouldn't it? (see article here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...elle-Obama-hitting-record-prices-auction.html ) So, while the pearl is apparently real and genuine (not synthetic), it may be cultured, not natural....yes?

Also very interesting is that with these large medals, the weight difference between two of the same medals (composed of the same metal) can actually be a difference of a gram to a few grams.

This rare silver Xi-Shi medal is going on my to-buy list for next month. Fingers crossed that he doesn't sell out like the other Xi-Shi medals have sold out quickly on eBay in recent months.

11. Elkslayer132

Elkslayer132 New Member

I would love this one too it would complete set but i just don't have that much coin sitting around at the moment (yet). One was already sold by him yesterday then he listed two more i don't expect them to last more than a few days but i hope they do so i have a chance at one if funds become available. I have another set of the copper and brass xi shi on the way. I like the dragon side the most personally. I also sent 11 medals away to NGC if this silver xi shi would of shown up about two weeks ago i probably would of picked it up. Sooner or later i will own one.

12. barsenault

elkslayer, sooner or later that thing will be 2k. lol. This is one that I'll probably just have to pass on, unfortunately. I agree with you, if it is not gone by today, I'd be shocked. That is a nice looking medal, and I'm sure the pictures do it no justice.

13. mmissinglink

The pictures there definitely don't do this amazing medal justice. If Barsenault made and shared one of his terrific videos on the silver Xi-Shi, then those 2 silver medals would have been sold out in a day or less.

14. barsenault

2 silver XI gone from Lucky's site. Sold 3 relatively quick. For transparency sake, I own not a single one. Don't plan on any. Your friend pumper & dumper. :D

15. mmissinglink

Looks like there's only 1 remaining....a couple more weeks till I get my next check that isn't earmarked for living expenses....seems like a race against time that I'll probably lose.

16. Elkslayer132

Elkslayer132 New Member

There may be a few more seems he only lists one or two at a time must be a marketing thing. If you really want one send him a note see if he will hold one for you. I am trying to unload a few sets from Perth mint on ebay to raise some cash for one but will probably be too late.

17. Gatito Bandito

Don't worry: No competition from me!

Apparently I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't particularly care for it.. :D

Too rich for my blood, anyway.

18. barsenault

yeah you're a wierdo alright, :D but I agree with the price tag though. hehehe.

by the way, this is lucky's 4th sale in a day. 1 yesterday, 2 by one buyer (I think), and then 1 more is for sale...probably Gatito will buy it. :eek:

19. Gatito Bandito

I'll take it for spot.. :lol:

20. mmissinglink

You are a weirdo...you seem to like that little creepy looking boy on that other medal but not a Four Beauty beauty holding a luscious pearl and an awesome Dragon. Weirdo! :lol:

I do find it very strange though that it's fairly common in this forum that someone will claim that a collector silver coin or collector silver medal is too expensive but yet that same person will pay as much or more for a silver coin or medal that is even less weight than the one they claim is "too expensive" or is of (arguably) lower quality.

Really strange stuff, n'est-ce pas?