Preferred Bullion Weight

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Bit Baron, May 16, 2013.

1. Bit Baron

Bit Baron Member

Hi

I'm looking at investing in some bullion but would first like to know what silver bullion bars do people stack and what is the preferred weight, 10oz, 100gram, 100oz, 1000gram etc if liquidity isn't the primary concern?

The 10oz kookaburra coins look like a reasonable alternative to bars as they are only a few dollars over spot.

How do people store their precious metals for long term, are they stored in air tights, vacuumed sealed in plastic bags, lose in a box etc.

2. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

I like 5 and 10 oz lunar coins from the perthmint. No liquidity problems there. For bars 1kg is the sweet spot imho. Storing either is simple as delicate coins come in airtites and bars are just ugly lumps so can be used as a door stop if so desired. Coins are quite bulky so storage of huge volumes is an issue and the perspex airtites slide so well it puts to shame scientists looking into perpetual motion. Of course this fact just adds some spicy danger to the "stackers" part of silverstackers

3. Old Codger

Old Codger Active Member Silver Stacker

1oz Eagles, 10oz Perth Mints and 1kg Perth Mints.

4. Holdfast

Holdfast Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

10oz Perth Mint Bars...you'll never find one the same. :p :D

5. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy New Member

I think the good majority of stackers prefer pieces in the 1oz-5oz-10oz ballpark. However, there's also a group that loves their kilos and you also have the doorstop (100oz) lovers, who are a very small (but wealthy) group. You can't buy doorstops on a shoestring budget.
    A couple things, though--
    1. Most stackers choose their own personal "preferred weight" largely on the basis of liquidity. Cost per ounce weighs in, but liquidity is most of what determines one's "preferred weight." Asking what the stacker's most popular weight is "if liquidity isn't the primary concern" is like asking what somebody's favorite color car is if color isn't the primary concern.
    2. Your initial question was about bars and your second sentence was about a 10oz Kook as an alternative to bars. Bars vs. coins is a major quandary that gives rise to lots of opinions. There are significant differences between them, like initial price, what premiums you can expect to get if/when you go to sell and other things. I wouldn't consider any coins to be a substitute for bars. In order to avoid the pitfalls of either (higher purchase price for coins, lower resale for bars, etc ad infinitum), I stack both. In fact, right now I'm running real close to half and half.
    3. In the area of bars, you also have to choose between current manufacture (either stamped or poured) and older, vintage bars (either stamped or usually poured). Lots of differences there, too... such as brand new NTR stamped vs. vintage Engelhard pours.