Pre 1946 florins Vs 1966 50c ... fight

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by thatguy, Sep 13, 2011.

1. thatguy

thatguy Active Member

80% Round 50c (1966) 13.28 gm 0.3416 oz = $13.29 @ spot

Vs

92.5% Florin (1910-1945) 11.31 gm 0.3364 oz = $13.29 @ spot

Both are handy 1/3oz so calculations are simple. 1966 seem to get all the love. So whats ya thoughts?

2. Trichter

Trichter Member

Florins are more compact per ounce silver, have more chance of developing numismatic value or rather are less susceptible to swings in spot silver because there are simply a bit of history. Both are winners. I like Florins FTW. Arguably they are better looking. If you can get them at a good price I think you will never lose your money. Both great coins but I come out at about 7 to 4 for the florins. Make sure they are not too worn though.

3. renovator

renovator Well-Known Member

My thoughts ? Old coins smell :p: the florins have much more character i like vintage stuff in general

4. adze67

adze67 Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Love 'em both, but that part of the stack is more weighted to '50s. Probably easier to get them and the majority are in pretty good nick.
    Harder to get florins in that condition but if I could get them in the same quantity/quality/cost I'd choose them :D

5. nicwinner

nicwinner Active Member Silver Stacker

prefer rpunds 50cent

6. THUCYDIDES79

THUCYDIDES79 New Member Silver Stacker

I pick the Florins as well.

More numismatic potential, and if offered for sale at same price as the 50 Cent piece, than id always go for the
    Florin.

7. kilo

kilo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

love em both but my stack leans to pre 46, nice coin with nummi apeal and 925 so diverse resale market ..... BUT ..... they never weigh 11.31, so always buy on weight not theoretical ASW

8. nicwinner

well I think depending age, ppl above 50 may prefer florin. as I 22 years,never know that florin history and honestly I am not interesting with, so I prefer 50 cent, as it's more larger and common.
    this is only my personal thinking...

9. nicwinner

and as far as I know, it's easily purchase florin pre 1946 with 10 bucks each, even in coin dealer shop( low condition) but hardly find round 50 cent for 10bucks each even in low condition

10. Trichter

Trichter Member

All the more reason to stack florins... just follow kilo's above advice.

11. Jislizard

Jislizard Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

I have both in my stack and would be happy to add either.

Not sure that the 50 cents being legal tender would have any bearing on it, florins you could legally melt but the 50 cents, not so.

I have found that refiners are happy to take the 50 cents in any numbers but usually insist on bulk loads of the predecimal which they then proceed to offer below spot value for.

It is easier for non numismatic types to recognise the 50 cents, rather than worry about being ripped off over a 50% florin while paying for a 92.5% one.

My wife prefers sterling coins because she can melt them down to make jewelry.

36 million 50 cent coins were minted and most are still in great condition, they will not have any numismatic premium unless they are perfect or the double bar variety (which most have weak tendencies anyway). Most florins will be junk but a new variety may be discovered or you could get one in good condition which hasn't been noticable cleaned.

All in all I think it depends on who you are going to sell it to as to which is better.

12. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Notice how many pre florins come up for sale ,as opposed to post florins,or '66s:here.

13. Azure

Azure Active Member Silver Stacker

Predecimal comes in such a variety, so I prefer the 50c over florens for stacking at that size, and get the lower denomination predecimal for my love of old. Plus 50c is a good coin for sale to brand new stackers, in fact, of the 2 people I've actually gotten through to on silver, the round 50c was their first purchace.

14. hem9

hem9 Active Member Silver Stacker

Do you mean that there are less pre florins sold than post or 1966 50's?

15. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

No competition.. 1966 50's are dull and boring, hold zero numismatic value and are available in massive quanitites in extremely high grades. Non commemorative florins are super hard to get in any sort of decent grade.. buying a bulk lot will almost certianly see you get an F or maybe a Vf and youll stand to make far more than just the profit from silver value. There is no chance of getting a key date 66 now is there.. but randomly get a 33 florin or a 14H and your gonna be very happy!

$10 florins really nicwinner? Sounds like a C.O.S to me when they have a melt value of $13.35 each... even in low grade youd be mad to stack 66's over non-commemorative circulated pre-46 florins.

As ive stated in the Forum previously... the 66 50c is NeWb coin... nice and easy.. like an entry level 101 economics course.

Having said this.. to have any idea about pre-decimal youll need to gain an understanding of grades and familarise yourself with mintages.. so for the cruise-control investors who like minimal cognitive involvement.. stick to those pretty 50's which are very much a One-dimensional silver bullion coin.

1for1

16. nicwinner

thanks with you clearly interpretation 1&1
    I just picked up few florin today, pre 1946 cose me 10 bucks and post 1946 cost me 5 each from my friend :D will post pics later

17. nicwinner

how these three coins total value? that 1942 with S mark, EF+ condition and two pieces 1963 both UNC condition, I have no idea with mintage or value except spot value

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

Yep.You don't see pre florin for sale on the forum anywhere as much as you see post or 66's.
    People don't sell them.
    92% silver.
    They are better.
    More silver.

19. 1for1

1for1 Well-Known Member

Hi, you got "mates rates" alright at $10 and $5 each for these.. but they are a good comparison cause they have high mintages and are quite easy to obtain in high grades. Nether the less you got a great deal and a good variety of dates, you never know when you might get a nice old coat of arms King George the V pre decimal.. this is the stuff you really should be chasing. Also Queen Victoria & Ed VII if you can track it down

1for1

20. kilo

kilo Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Well under spot and good coins.
    I love my roos, kooks, n hand poured loafs as much as any one but imho thats the way to stack... rough calculation $28 an ounce + maybe nummi .
    how can you do better?