Posting from Canada

Discussion in 'Silver Coins' started by 3cav84a, Jan 13, 2011.

1. 3cav84a

3cav84a New Member

Hi, a couple of weeks ago I won 10 Maple Leafs on eBay, the seller was in Canada.On the listing they said they posted Internationally, when she took it to the post office they said they could not send the coins to Australia. She asked if I knew anyone in the USA she could post them to and have them send them on to me. It all got too har in the end and we mutually canceled the deal. Has anyone had this problem before regarding posting coins from Canada.

2. rbaggio

rbaggio Active Member Silver Stacker

I bought some coins from a Canadian ebay seller in late September. They took approx 13 weeks to get to my house.

Apparently the delay was in Canada, their customs are inspecting a lot more packages than they normally would, going in to AND OUT OF Canada.

There was never any issue of being unable to send to Australia, although i did check this with the seller before i made the purhase.

3. Golden

Golden Member

Why did she tell what's inside the envelope? I never do. :D

4. adrenalin

adrenalin New Member

Yeah I won a 10 oz Lunar Dragon on ebay from Canada at a really good price.
    Then the guy mentioned he couldnt send it to Australia even though the listing mentioned selling worldwide.
    Anyways he said something about Canada post too not being able to send bullion.
    We ended up both agreeing to cancel the transaction.

5. goldpelican

goldpelican Administrator Staff Member

Sounds like the issue is with Canada Post's strict interpretation of Australia Post's carraige rules for coins.

There seems to be a common international misconception that sending coins to Australia is illegal - it's not, it simply comes down to the language of carriers used in their policies - like Australia Post saying coins are "prohibited". Only prohibited by Australia Post - not Australian Customs. A private carrier can carry them.

6. Boyo

Boyo Active Member Silver Stacker

I have sold some coins to a guy in Canada.The parcel took 2 months to arrive at destination .I was having coniptions worrying if they had been lost or stolen en route.

Will never ,ever transact through Canada again.

7. adrenalin

adrenalin New Member

8. silverybay

silverybay New Member

Absolutely. Many aren't familiar with postal and custom regulations. :/

9. adrenalin

adrenalin New Member

Sorry it was the US not Canada, but the link is still relevant.

States coins etc. are prohibited to be posted.

10. silverybay

silverybay New Member

I receive coins from US through USPS regularly. "Collectibles", "Numismatic Supplies", "Medallions", "Hobby Supplies", "Antiques", "Metal Stamps", "Tokens", "Commemoratives".......the list goes on.

To the uninitiated, anything that is metallic and round is a "coin". :lol:

11. adrenalin

adrenalin New Member

Yeah I had bought some stuff from the US before with no problem.
    Even some of the descriptions said.. "Bullion Coin" on it.
    Only this guy I was dealing with was a bit anal.

12. BullionBench

BullionBench New Member

Despite the expense, the Canadian postal service is next to useless - even for deliveries originating in Canada and going to a Canadian address. If you want to pick something up from Canadian ebay, you really need a friend in Canada or America who is willing to be your middle-man. That or a seller who's prepared to go through FedEx or some other alternative to regular post.

13. Drag0nHart

Drag0nHart New Member

You have to remember, Canada post only operates inside of the boarders of Canada...once it exits our boarder...it is the consignment carrier and the destination country that actually moves it handles/mishandle it etc....if you pay for non air postage, your package is likely going to be shipped on an iron ore freight hauler traveling at 8 knots that will take 2 months to arrive in Australia if it doesn't stop to pick up additional cargo and manages to avoid headwinds. I have received surface parcels mailed from one side of Canada to the other in 4 days!!...that is thousands of miles of travel.

The best postal service outside of Canada in my experience is the Royal Mail out of the UK. 5 days across the Atlantic and across Canada to our west coast...I was impressed.

As for the regulations of destination countries, Canada post will not interpret the wording other than how it is stated...if it says no coins, then if Canada is aware, they will stick with the regulations...it is up to the destination country to set their rules as to what they will accept.

I looked on Canada Post website and I could find a specific reference to bullion or coins not being allowed by Australia, but I did find the word "valuables" under prohibited items...seems like a pretty broad term to me.

Australia is listed on this page from Canada Post...

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGIntDestDetails-e.asp?table=tblCountry&txtLetter=AU

14. Big A.D.

Big A.D. Well-Known Member Silver Stacker

Completely off topic, but did anyone else see that Top Gear episode where they raced a letter posted at the southern most point of the UK to the northern most point?

The letter won.

Royal Mail FTW!